TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Got frustrated and vented to dealer about waiting for my TTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got frustrated and vented to dealer about waiting for my TTS

So here's the story...

I put in my order for a 2017 TTS back in mid-March. I waited patiently for things to move forward, knowing that this is one of those made to order cars.

By May, I was made known that my order was in backlog and that this caused it to go into the 2018 production cycle. The sales rep made it sound like I was getting a great deal, but the simple thing is that I had to wait longer for my car.

At the third week of June, the car made it to Halifax and I was very antsy now. My sales guy said that it should usually take around 4 weeks before delivery date. I decided to get my existing car sold because I did not know how long that would take. It was a lot faster than I expected, but that is fine. In another three weeks, I would get my car.

At the beginning of this week, I checked in with my sales guy, who told me that my car was still in Halifax because Audi Canada had not released the 2018 models. They would "probably" do that at the end of July. THEN my car would be released and transported to Toronto.

That would mean maybe the end of August now.

So I got fed up with the waiting and I wanted some compensation for all of this...I called up the GM for the dealership and told him the story. He went away to research the case and see what he could do.

In the end, he tells me that he put a expedite request on my car and that it will be shipped directly from Halifax to Toronto right now and that I should be getting it by the end of next.

Of course I am happy with the result...but I have to think, how is this possible? I mean if someone complains (like me), they will just get their car, even though that year's model is not released yet? What happen to those rules? Did they get thrown out the window?

Like I said, don't get me wrong, I really want the car...but I thought I would be negotiating for snow tires or free service or even a free loaner till my car comes in. Not that the car would arrive next week.

Any insight on how all of this works?
Old 07-13-2017, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, what a mess! Strange story with the whole, "can't release" then "ok how about next week?".

I don't think the dealer can do much or has any control over the situation. They are Audi's customer as well in a way at this point in the transaction. It's Audi Canada that you might want to poke a stick at. My last car was a JCW Mini Paceman and it was built without the on-board computer (which is a standard feature - it would be like getting your TT without the vehicle mode available in the MMI). The dealer was useless. "We can't do anything", "you didn't buy that feature", blah blah blah. I messaged MINI via Facebook and got immediate results and they made the dealer fix the problem (which was not easy) and provided a rental. So I would suggest you find a social media avenue to contact them. That seems to get the most attention these days. They might be more willing to offer some kind of goodwill to you.

Good luck with delivery.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

My TTS was held up at port as someone neglected to tag it as a "sold" car. I vented to my Audi GM and it was on a truck to the dealership the next day. I don't do it often but sometimes the squeaky wheel does get the grease!

I had ordered in early June '15 and received in late November but it was a somewhat premature order and then unexpectedly the TTS's were built after the TT's for the US at the time so I do empathize.

But know that when you first drive your new TTS all the prior frustration will immediately dissipate.

Last edited by Huey52; 07-14-2017 at 03:23 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. You've been more than patient. I know when I waited it SUCKED!!! I had to wait twice. Once for the ED, and then after dropping off the car, I had to wait for it be shipped back to the US.

First, the car is definitely worth the wait. Still brings a smile to my face every time I drive it and I'm 8 months into ownership. That is weird/odd that the release of the vehicle isn't some kind of solid rule and all it took was some pressure to get it released. I experienced something similar with my ED delivery. The car was in limbo at the port for an annoyingly long time, and I made a few phone calls to the dealership and then magically it was on the way to the dealer, and a few days later I was able to pick it up. Not sure why these things don't happen more automatically and without customer intervention. I've only had Audi deliveries so I'm not sure if this also happens to other brands when cars are custom ordered.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Everyone, don't get me wrong...I KNOW I will be very happy driving this WHEN I get it. It is just strange how a slight kick was all it took to get this here.

My coworkers are now saying to me that I should have kicked them back in April right after I ordered the car. 8-)

I can't wait till I get it, but I also am the type that can drop the HOW aspect of all of this. That is, how can they just have the car brought over like this when I did not even raise as big a fuss as I was think I would. The logistics of how it can just show up all of a sudden escapes me. That would just kill any set schedule that a company would have. Does not really make much sense to me from the view of the company.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

It seems to me to have been largely an Audi Canada marketing decision, likely to not detract from 2017 lot sales by having 2018's "prematurely" arrive. Obviously the car was available for transport from port and your GM was able to pull some strings to get your ordered/sold vehicle to you despite the marketing intent.

Heck, that's what expedite means. "to speed up the progress of; hasten: to expedite shipments."

So now just drop it and enjoy your new TTS (which being a 2018 does impart add'l value).

"...If you can wait and not be tired by waiting..." -Kipling

Originally Posted by toram23901
I can't wait 'til I get it, but I also am the type that can't drop the HOW aspect of all of this. That is, how can they just have the car brought over like this when I did not even raise as big a fuss as I was thinking I would. The logistics of how it can just show up all of a sudden escapes me. That would just kill any set schedule that a company would have. Does not really make much sense to me from the view of the company.

Last edited by Huey52; 07-15-2017 at 03:15 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a similar issue. In Calgary, Canada.

Ordered a TT in April. Was 2017 but then switched to 2018.
Car is physically in Canada as at about 2 week ago. Arrived in Halifax.
Was told that it hasn't been released because it's the first MY2018.
Now saying end of July.

​​​​
Old 07-16-2017, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

The newer model is not a bad trade off. I took delivery in the last week of June last year and it's a 16. Another guy from Toronto took delivery at the end of July (or possibly early Aug) and his was also a 16. So here we are only 13 months later and these two cars in Halifax are getting delivered "two years newer".

Although, I do recall that the wait was excruciating!!! Looking forward to the big reveal!
Old 07-17-2017, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cooleddie
I have a similar issue. In Calgary, Canada.

Ordered a TT in April. Was 2017 but then switched to 2018.
Car is physically in Canada as at about 2 week ago. Arrived in Halifax.
Was told that it hasn't been released because it's the first MY2018.
Now saying end of July.

​​​​
Well...I think you should take a page from me then and just call up your dealership GM and let him know about the inconvenience this has caused you.

Honestly, I did not even raise my voice on the call or demand anything and the GM pushed the car through...Mind you, it is the week of delivery right now - as he had told me last week and I have not picked up my car yet, but at the very least I should be driving around in some Audi on Wednesday, either a loaner or the TTS.

My coworkers put it as: You never know until you ask...If your GM dicks you around, then you have fodder to get cheaper winter tires or include maintenance or something like that.

I was actually shooting for winter tires at cost, but the GM countered me with actual car delivery.

So just go and call...you never know. I didn't know...
Old 07-22-2017, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My situation was not as bad as yours but my dealer screwed up my TT order as well. In my case, the delay was enough that I lost the initial lock on my loan and the rates ended up adjusting up by a half-percent. I had the dealer discount the car to make up the difference. Was very annoyed, so I feel your pain!

Quick Reply: Got frustrated and vented to dealer about waiting for my TTS