TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

MX: Considering Purchasing a modified TTrs........Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2024, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default MX: Considering Purchasing a modified TTrs........Help

Hello all
I am going to apologize first.........Im sorry.
I have been all over the place this last week. My daily is about to sell and I am thinking about diving into the Audi world.
I am leaving behind a very nice and stock 510hp car to something different. I want something fun!

So that brings me to what I found.
There is an Audi TTrs that has about 25,000 km.
Its has many carbon bits.....photos included.
It also has a Syvecs ECU, Iroz 850 big turbo, double low pressure fuel pump, 980cc port injectors, and Eventury intake.

The shop that built this car is reputable and does quality work.
What should I know........as if you were talking to a five year old.

The following users liked this post:
kevin#34 (01-14-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 252 Likes on 214 Posts

I would assume the car has been driven hard and most likely tracked. If you are considering a purchase, make sure you find a mechanic that can deal with the customization when repairs are needed. Also, the big turbo usually means big lag.
Old 01-15-2024, 01:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

thanks for your response

I have a video of a drag strip race.

big turbo= big lag. I asked when the turbos kick in and the seller said abound 4000 rpm. thats a lot of lag, no?
Old 01-15-2024, 05:51 AM
TT fan

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

definitively yes
Old 01-15-2024, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 252 Likes on 214 Posts
Default Drag racing is the worst form of track use when considering a used TT

Originally Posted by t0pcarbon
thanks for your response

I have a video of a drag strip race.

big turbo= big lag. I asked when the turbos kick in and the seller said abound 4000 rpm. thats a lot of lag, no?
It means the "launch" mode of the tranny has been used a lot and the tranny is designed for only a limited number of launches because it creates maximum stress on the tranny. It is so stressful that there is actually a launch counter in the tranny electronics which is the first thing a mechanic checks when diagnosing a tranny failure to determine how hard it has been used. Find another car.

Last edited by Vegas-roadster; 01-15-2024 at 06:15 AM.
Old 01-15-2024, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tuned as well?

If the turbo kicks in at 4000, I wonder whether it's been tuned properly. If tuned to match the intake, and if the exhaust has been opened to four inches, you'll get over 500 shaft horsepower on it.

Do you know the launch count? I see a response that says you should walk away due to a high launch count, but I don't see where you say it's high. Turbo kicking in at 4000 can be modified in the tune, though it depends on whether the TCU has been tuned.

Kick-down response has been known to be interesting with modified audis; I've read reports of the kick-down response resulting in downshifting, then immediately upshifting, then downshifting again when the turbo comes up, creating a "lag." Rather than relying on the "floor it and wait," try two left clicks before pressing the accelerator to the floor. See if that lag response is acceptable.

I love my TTRS.
Old 01-15-2024, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dgerrity
If the turbo kicks in at 4000, I wonder whether it's been tuned properly. If tuned to match the intake, and if the exhaust has been opened to four inches, you'll get over 500 shaft horsepower on it.

Do you know the launch count? I see a response that says you should walk away due to a high launch count, but I don't see where you say it's high. Turbo kicking in at 4000 can be modified in the tune, though it depends on whether the TCU has been tuned.

Kick-down response has been known to be interesting with modified audis; I've read reports of the kick-down response resulting in downshifting, then immediately upshifting, then downshifting again when the turbo comes up, creating a "lag." Rather than relying on the "floor it and wait," try two left clicks before pressing the accelerator to the floor. See if that lag response is acceptable.

I love my TTRS.
just asked the seller and the answer I got was it was unknown.
looks like I will be passing as that should be known and an important detail.
lots of cars on the market so im not too worried as I will find something interesting.
Old 01-16-2024, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

What tune does it have? What fuel?
Have they ever put ethanol into it? I'm assuming so, given they changed the fuel pump (for higher flow).

How many whp does it produce?

Above 600 whp, I would really consider rebuilding the engine (piston/rods).
Above 700 whp, the clutch and transmission is subject to failure, so needs to be upgraded.
I'm assuming you are above both.
I wouldn't touch the car without a thorough inspection by a third party, if the lower end wasn't rebuilt ... you are asking for trouble above 650 whp, and the lower end being stock. Cars have popped even below those numbers, but
putting a big turbo with no rebuild is a big no-no in my eyes.

On a more minor point, did they change the exhaust (I'd expect at least a new DP and mids).

Old 01-16-2024, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mark_b_good
What tune does it have? What fuel?
Have they ever put ethanol into it? I'm assuming so, given they changed the fuel pump (for higher flow).

How many whp does it produce?

Above 600 whp, I would really consider rebuilding the engine (piston/rods).
Above 700 whp, the clutch and transmission is subject to failure, so needs to be upgraded.
I'm assuming you are above both.
I wouldn't touch the car without a thorough inspection by a third party, if the lower end wasn't rebuilt ... you are asking for trouble above 650 whp, and the lower end being stock. Cars have popped even below those numbers, but
putting a big turbo with no rebuild is a big no-no in my eyes.

On a more minor point, did they change the exhaust (I'd expect at least a new DP and mids).
no tune but a syvec ecu
can run e85 or pump gas
has an exhaust and down pipes
priduces 850hp

but like I stated earlier, I’m giving it a pass for now
Old 01-17-2024, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by t0pcarbon
no tune but a syvec ecu
can run e85 or pump gas
has an exhaust and down pipes
priduces 850hp

but like I stated earlier, I’m giving it a pass for now
Did he rebuild bottom end, and did he modify the transmission. If not, that is well into the dangerous territory, and that motor will likely pop at some point, if it already hasn't.
The following users liked this post:
uberwgn (01-17-2024)

Quick Reply: MX: Considering Purchasing a modified TTrs........Help