TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

OK to put regular gas (87 Octane ) in TT? Your experience?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default OK to put regular gas (87 Octane ) in TT? Your experience?

So the normal TT TFSI takes 87 Octane regular gas, per the cap and the manual. But I keep filling it with the premium 91 gas based on the "recommendation".

Has anyone filled their TT with 87 regular gas yet? Any thoughts? Experiences / differences?
Old 06-03-2018, 10:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,070 Likes on 744 Posts

This topic seems to pop up once in a while. 87 is the minimum and acceptable if you find yourself in a pinch and can't find 91 or higher. Lower octane gas will cause the engine to knock, and the ECU will detect it and retard the ignition timing to stop the knocking. The result is your engine won't run optimally, won't produce full power and won't run as efficient. Your mpg will go down. In general you just end up burning more fuel offsetting any savings from the cheaper per gallon cost. 91 or higher is recommended, because that's what the engine is tuned for to run efficiently.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 252 Likes on 214 Posts
Default The savings of using regular are very small

Originally Posted by cooleddie
So the normal TT TFSI takes 87 Octane regular gas, per the cap and the manual. But I keep filling it with the premium 91 gas based on the "recommendation".

Has anyone filled their TT with 87 regular gas yet? Any thoughts? Experiences / differences?
Assuming you get around 25 mpg and drive 10,000 miles a year. If 91 octane is 30 cents per gallon more expensive than regular, you would save a whopping $120 a year, about $2 a week, using regular. However, as pointed out by prior responses, your TT will not perform as well and gas mileage will be reduced so the savings are even less. Buy one less Starbucks a week and you will save more money than buying regular gas.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 618 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
Assuming you get around 25 mpg and drive 10,000 miles a year. If 91 octane is 30 cents per gallon more expensive than regular, you would save a whopping $120 a year, about $2 a week, using regular. However, as pointed out by prior responses, your TT will not perform as well and gas mileage will be reduced so the savings are even less. Buy one less Starbucks a week and you will save more money than buying regular gas.
I'll never understand why people get cars like this and then try to save money on gas.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
I'll never understand why people get cars like this and then try to save money on gas.
This. You bought a premium car, but in premium fuel. Its just the price to pay with owning a "performance" car.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

for ****s sake.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

There is absolutely NO damage done to the engine running 87 in it long-term....it simply will not make the horsepower as advertised. End of story. I live in an area where I have to drive 15 miles to find ANYTHING but 87. I usually do use premium, however......I've logged thousands of miles with 87. Can't tell an ounce of difference, engine runs fine.

FYI I just hit 15,000 since my last long term fuel economy trip computer reset.....so in the last year approximately I've averaged 30.8 MPG, and some of that is on 87. I prefer the premium 91 for the best performance, but more so for the cleaning addictive packages included in it when it's top tier.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 53 Posts

I wasn't aware the base TT could accept 87, nor would I ever fill it with that anyway. AFAIK the TTS requires, not just recommends 91.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
There is absolutely NO damage done to the engine running 87 in it long-term....it simply will not make the horsepower as advertised. End of story. I live in an area where I have to drive 15 miles to find ANYTHING but 87. I usually do use premium, however......I've logged thousands of miles with 87. Can't tell an ounce of difference, engine runs fine.

FYI I just hit 15,000 since my last long term fuel economy trip computer reset.....so in the last year approximately I've averaged 30.8 MPG, and some of that is on 87. I prefer the premium 91 for the best performance, but more so for the cleaning addictive packages included in it when it's top tier.
yo arent you tuned?
Old 06-04-2018, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by ourlee
yo arent you tuned?
Yes...and it is capable of running 87. Not intended, and a performance decrease. I try to avoid 87 but when I literally have to drive 15 miles to get it sometimes I have no choice if I forget to plan my fill ups ahead of time. Still hard to believe a car that can do sub-5 second 0-60 runs can average nearly 31 MPG in an entire year of driving! Love this car!

Quick Reply: OK to put regular gas (87 Octane ) in TT? Your experience?