TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Paint Protection Needed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 01:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Paint Protection Needed?

I opted for the paint protection to be applied upon receiving the TT RS at the dealership. Will I need this if my intentions is to put a clear bra (XPEL) immediately following picking up the car?
FRONT BUMPER PAINT PROTECTION
$350.00PARTIAL HOOD & FENDERS PAINT PROTECTION
$260.00REAR LOAD SILL PAINT PROTECTION
$150.00
Old 04-17-2018, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

The Xpel needs to go on first. I used a "detail" speciality shop to do paint protection. The dealer stuff usually is ceramic "light" and not the best. Plus they pay someone 10 buck an hour to apply. I wanted perfection and went elsewhere to get it....and got it. Congrats on the new car. What did you get?
Old 04-17-2018, 02:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GaBoYnFla
The Xpel needs to go on first. I used a "detail" speciality shop to do paint protection. The dealer stuff usually is ceramic "light" and not the best. Plus they pay someone 10 buck an hour to apply. I wanted perfection and went elsewhere to get it....and got it. Congrats on the new car. What did you get?
I went with the Nardo Grey 2018 TT RS with all the options minus the Dynamic Plus. I was looking at the order sheet and it showed I opted for the paint protection. I remember reading a post stating this should not be done if deciding to put the Xpel protection bra. So, I should contact them to have it removed huh? Sounds like it would be a waste of money for me.

Last edited by harris4crna; 04-17-2018 at 02:18 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by harris4crna
I went with the Nardo Grey 2018 TT RS with all the options minus the Dynamic Plus. I was looking at the order sheet and it showed I opted for the paint protection. I remember reading a post stating this should not be done if deciding to put the Xpel protection bra. So, I should contact them to have it removed huh? Sounds like it would be a waste of money for me.

It's better than nothing but removing it can be fun....needs to be polished out. My installer insisted on polishing out a brand new car....it had to be perfect before installing it....because what you get is what you'll have for years to come...

Congrats....close to what I have....Nardo.....He's a teaser!

Old 04-17-2018, 02:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

It's better than nothing but removing it can be fun....needs to be polished out. My installer insisted on polishing out a brand new car....it had to be perfect before installing it....because what you get is what you'll have for years to come...

Congrats....close to what I have....Nardo.....He's a teaser!

I am chopping at the bit, looks great. It may have been a post you provided previously regarding the need to polish the dealer's paint out prior to applying the Xpel that stimulated the question. I remembered someone posting this previously. Ok, I will make sure to have it removed. I did contact the tint/detailing shop to ask them the same question. Great looking car, any regrets?
Old 04-17-2018, 02:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am chopping at the bit, looks great. It may have been a post you provided previously regarding the need to polish the dealer's paint out prior to applying the Xpel that stimulated the question. I remembered someone posting this previously. Ok, I will make sure to have it removed. I did contact the tint/detailing shop to ask them the same question. Great looking car, any regrets?

NONE!
Old 04-17-2018, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You don't want to pay for the factory or dealer applied paint protection film. (Key word film) if you plan on having someone else apply a paint protection film. The Audi option is not a ceramic coating it is an actual film and not nearly as good as an Expel or other aftermarket film. Don't pay for the Audi applied film.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Rapture
You don't want to pay for the factory or dealer applied paint protection film. (Key word film) if you plan on having someone else apply a paint protection film. The Audi option is not a ceramic coating it is an actual film and not nearly as good as an Expel or other aftermarket film. Don't pay for the Audi applied film.
Thank you. I requested to have it removed from the order. I will have it done by the tint shop. How about the ceramic coating?
Old 04-18-2018, 02:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you. I requested to have it removed from the order. I will have it done by the tint shop. How about the ceramic coating?

I was speaking of ceramic coating. I went with Ceramic Pro. My 2nd TT with it and it makes my car for the car very simple. I'm partially handicapped and just can't hold out to polish the car ever 4-6 weeks anymore. Since going with CP, I've not had to do that for years....and the car looks fantastic. There are many ceramic companies out there. I went with CP due to reputation of the product and especially the reputation of the installer. High spots are an issue with these products and you need someone experienced with them---ie NONE in the car at all. Where are you located?
Old 04-18-2018, 03:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

I was speaking of ceramic coating. I went with Ceramic Pro. My 2nd TT with it and it makes my car for the car very simple. I'm partially handicapped and just can't hold out to polish the car ever 4-6 weeks anymore. Since going with CP, I've not had to do that for years....and the car looks fantastic. There are many ceramic companies out there. I went with CP due to reputation of the product and especially the reputation of the installer. High spots are an issue with these products and you need someone experienced with them---ie NONE in the car at all. Where are you located?
Well, I am currently located in Japan, but will be picking the TT RS up in Bellevue Washington in Aug. Prior to driving the car to San Diego I was going to get Accutint of Bellevue to apply the Xpel clear bra and perhaps a ceramic coating. I wanted to get all this done prior to the long drive to San Diego. The shop stated they needed a couple days to complete the job. One day to apply and second day to verify everything is completed as expected. I will be visiting the shop in May, so I will get my impressions than.

Quick Reply: Paint Protection Needed?