TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Sputtering on Warm Start - Leaky Injector?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2023, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sputtering on Warm Start - Leaky Injector?

Hello, I am looking for help with a problem I am having...

My car starts perfectly fine on a cold start but if I leave and come back to it anywhere from 45 mins - 2 hours and the engine is still hot or warm it sputters on the start. Sometimes it is severe and it takes multiple attempts to get it going again. Once the engine is running again there are no issues.

I am wondering if anyone has had a similar issue with their TT or the 2.0L TFSI engine in the 2016 Audi TT.

A little background, I bought the car just over two weeks ago and the previous owner had just replaced the water pump and the fuel line at Audi. Not sure if this could also be causing this problem? I read somewhere that a leaky injector could be the culprit because the fuel system needs to be pressurized on a hot start and if the injector is leaking then the fuel mixture will be off, causing the car to sputter. Just seems odd that an injector is leaking on a car with only 107k on it... or is that just audi ;(

Any feedback is appreciated!

Old 10-24-2023, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 253 Likes on 215 Posts

Never heard of this problem before. You need to buy Vag-Com or similar to scan the codes

Last edited by Vegas-roadster; 10-24-2023 at 05:08 AM.
Old 10-24-2023, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks, yeah I had one that my dad bought in 2018 for his VW but it doesn't work on this car (of course!) so I am getting one from amazon and it should arrive today.

I was hoping somebody else had heard of this issue, but I will update this thread with what I find.
Old 11-01-2023, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Going to update this thread,

So the amazon tool was basically an obdII reader with a bit more functions, but not what I needed. It showed me that I had misfire codes on cylinders 1 & 4 and multiple other codes for misfiring and cylinder shutdown.

Getting a VCDS from Rosstech would cost me too much to ship to Canada so I decided to take it to a mechanic. The mechanic could not replicate my hard start (of course only happens to me every damn time) or diagnose the problem as a leaky injector using his diagnostic tools. He monitored the injector pressure readings and tested the compression as well and it was all good. We changed the spark plugs, did a fuel system clean and changed the oil and it was running better so I thought I was good.

Unfortunately, the problem came back after a trip to Loblaws. The mechanic thinks the next thing is the fuel pump but I think if that was the case, the symptoms would be happening while operating the car hot or cold. I still think it is a leaking injector.

Going to take it back and see what happens maybe he can diagnose it this time
The following users liked this post:
galaxys (11-01-2023)
Old 11-14-2023, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Okay so final update. The issue seems to have been solved by replacing the High Pressure Fuel Pump. There is a solenoid in the pump that seems to have gone faulty and stops holding pressure when the car is off. It was a pretty easy thing to DIY and just replace the pump. Hope this helps someone else in the future lol!
galaxys (11-14-2023)
Old 11-14-2023, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 253 Likes on 215 Posts

Good to know. Is the pump in the gas tank?
Old 11-23-2023, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hey, no the high pressure pump is in the engine bay. Its easily visible once you remove the engine cover.
Old 12-03-2023, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It's good that the problem did not require a long time to solve.
Old 12-04-2023, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It felt like a long time when it was happening lol! Now I have to change the engine and transmission mounts this weekend... and my driver-side mirror is vibrating at higher speeds in warmer weather so I'll fix that in the spring. By then who knows what else will be wrong :')
galaxys (12-04-2023)
Old 05-20-2024, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dpgh
Okay so final update. The issue seems to have been solved by replacing the High Pressure Fuel Pump. There is a solenoid in the pump that seems to have gone faulty and stops holding pressure when the car is off. It was a pretty easy thing to DIY and just replace the pump. Hope this helps someone else in the future lol!
Hi,
My 2016 TTS MK3 seems to be having a similar problem. The problem occurs only intermittently and only when hot. The last time it occurred was about an hour after some spirited driving. It took a couple of attempts to start the vehicle.

My TTS does not throw any codes. It just seems to sputter when starting. Once it starts, everything is fine.

Do you know if your vehicle was throwing any codes?

Quick Reply: Sputtering on Warm Start - Leaky Injector?