TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

TT Roadster v Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 01:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT Roadster v Boxster

Okay, I am comparing a 2016 Mk3 TT Roadster to a 981 Boxster, particularly a 2014 or 2015 CPO Boxster with less than 10K miles to replace my 2011 MINI Cooper S. I am guessing others on this forum have compared and considered both of these options. Considering this is Audi World, I suspect most that reply to this post will have chosen the TT Roadster. Why please? Honestly, I had been quite interested in the new 2016 Miata MX-5, but when I sat in one the other day it was simply too small, particularly on the passenger side which has significantly less leg room. I just couldn't subject my wife of 31 years to sitting with her knees up under her chin just so I could drive a fun car, therefore, I have eliminated that option leaving the TT and Boxster as primary considerations. All replies appreciated.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was in your same spot six months ago. I always wanted a Porsche. I have owned many fun cars in my time, including two mini coopers. Porsche has been a dream car for twenty years. So last Sept. I started my quest to purchase one. I started looking at used Porsche Boxster that were 3-4 years old. After looking at many, I turned looking at leasing a brand new one. I did my paperwork and was ready to sign. I got thinking over a weekend and the Boxster plus the price just did not sit 100% so I decided not to purchase. I couple weeks go by and I see a new Porsche Cayman and get the spark again. I go and test drove a couple. Both the Boxster and Cayman drove like a sports car but the interior just seemed old school to me. I am a tech guy and like all the modern gadgets. So I decided to wait a week and really think about it. Then talking with a guy at work asked me if I looked at the new 2016 Audi TT. I never even thought about that vehicle. A close friend is an Audi guy that has owned many so I call him to discuss. He loves Audi cars and has owned many for the past 12 years but he did not know anything about the new TT but heard it was awesome and included the first Audi to have the virtual cockpit. So I decided to go and look at them however in November there were not many to find. I did find one and test drove it. It was awesome so I took my wife back to the dealership for a much longer test drive then I was completely hooked. So I will tell you the same thing another forum member who owned a Porsche before buying the new TT, if you want a car that gets noticed a lot, it's a Porsche then buy the Porsche but if you want an all around fun sports car then buy the TT. That's not to say that I have not got many of thumbs up from people that see my car. As a comparison, with the Porsche you get the name and overall fun to drive car but it is a bit more tight old school interior. As for the TT, you get a fun to drive modern technology, comfortable for a sports car, all around great car. I only have 1,500 miles on mine but I love it and it's a joy to drive. Comparing it to the base Boxster and Cayman, the TT has the same 0-60 timing, 5.3 seconds and the car seems faster then it is but fast enough to enjoy. Also a great trunk space and the rear seats even though you can't really use them for people it's great to have space behind the front seats to put a coat or food during a long drive. One final thing is that my wife did not like how low the Porsche was getting in and out. The TT does sit low but we raised her seat up as much as it can go and she does not mind getting in and out. A nice optioned TT is $10k cheaper than the same type option Porsche. The keyless entry is great, if you have never had it you will love it. All the controls on the wheel and the dash are so nice to use and very user friendly I think. I hope some of this helps you. If you want additional info you can gladly email me. Good luck, take care, Frank
Old 03-15-2016, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 252 Likes on 214 Posts
Default Neither the boxster nor the TT roadster has rear seats

Originally Posted by flmtrain
Also a great trunk space and the rear seats even though you can't really use them for people it's great to have space behind the front seats to put a coat or food during a long drive.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Sorry you are correct

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
Sorry you are correct about the roadster, I was thinking of my coupe having back seats. I did look at the roadster but never test drove it.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I traded in my 14 Boxster on a 2016 TT. and before that i had a Mini. lol we have similar taste in cars.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by steve1ddd
I traded in my 14 Boxster on a 2016 TT. and before that i had a Mini. lol we have similar taste in cars.
Yes, I guess so. Tell me more. Why the switch from 14 981 to 16 TT?
Old 03-17-2016, 12:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by p912guy
Yes, I guess so. Tell me more. Why the switch from 14 981 to 16 TT?
i know we have spoken since this post via PM but for everyone else reading, it mostly came down to me living in Colorado and wanting all wheel drive. Otherwise i couldn't drive my Boxster for 3 months out of the year and had to maintain a second vehicle
Old 03-17-2016, 02:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Steve is the one who really helped me decide to purchase my TT and not a Porsche. He was very helpful. Thanks again Steve, how is your TT treating you?
Old 03-18-2016, 12:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

over 15k miles in and trucking along. No issues with the car and with Blizzak tires, no winter issues either.
Starting to lust after the BMW I8 and Carrerra 4S though. Trying to keep it in check