TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

TT RS exhaust button - what does it do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TT RS exhaust button - what does it do?

Did I see correctly that the base TT RS has an exhaust button above the shifter regardless of whether you get the $1,000 active exhaust feature? What does the button do if you don't pay for the option? Does Dynamic drive select mode change the exhaust sound at all if the car doesn't have the exhaust option on it?
Old 12-15-2017, 08:31 PM
Previously “CALE262”

Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

I was pretty sure the stock RS exhaust is valved also. In Dynamic mode the valves are in the open position by default and the transmission shift points are changed which may make it sound like the car is louder as it runs in the higher RPM ranges.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BRKNJMPR
I was pretty sure the stock RS exhaust is valved also. In Dynamic mode the valves are in the open position by default and the transmission shift points are changed which may make it sound like the car is louder as it runs in the higher RPM ranges.

Even in Dynamic, I have to push my exhaust button to get the most sound. I wish it would just stay open.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GaBoYnFla
Even in Dynamic, I have to push my exhaust button to get the most sound. I wish it would just stay open.
That doesn't mirror my experience. Dynamic opens the valves the same as the button for me. You just have to reselect the driving mode every time you start the car because they seem to default to closed after the car has been off, even if it was left in dynamic.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Similar to TTS, not actually in "Sport" mode upon restart even tho' left in "Dynamic."

Originally Posted by ormandj
That doesn't mirror my experience. Dynamic opens the valves the same as the button for me. You just have to reselect the driving mode every time you start the car because they seem to default to closed after the car has been off, even if it was left in dynamic.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Huey52
Similar to TTS, not actually in "Sport" mode upon restart even tho' left in "Dynamic."
Dynamic gives more sound, you still need to press the sport exhaust button to open the flaps and even then, they don't stay open all the time.

Read my other thread about exhaust flaps, there's a link to a controller and their website also states the flaps close again.

. BMW M4 had the same issue, it's to do with noise regulations
Old 12-16-2017, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,070 Likes on 744 Posts

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-.../#post25082789
Old 12-17-2017, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Sport exhaust system with black tips - $1,000"

If even the base TT RS has the exhaust button, then is the $1k exhaust option only adding black tips and nothing more?
Old 12-17-2017, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiAuto
If even the base TT RS has the exhaust button, then is the $1k exhaust option only adding black tips and nothing more?
Does the base have a button? I thought it didn't but I'm not sure. It would be different equipment/silencers then to make it more sporty in sound.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GaBoYnFla
Does the base have a button? I thought it didn't but I'm not sure. It would be different equipment/silencers then to make it more sporty in sound.
The muffler is different on the sport exhaust, and the sound is enhanced.

Quick Reply: TT RS exhaust button - what does it do?