TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

TTS ... Rear Suspension Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 TTS SUPENSION NOISE

I have had the same problem with my new TTS. I pushed the Service Manager to find out if there was a problem because it did not seem right. Like a loose shock or something. They finally found out that someone else had this same problem going or bumps or uneven road. There is a defect with some of the rear mounts. They have ordered the new parts from Germany to take care of the problem. I hope this was helpful to all with a new TTS with this problem.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TOMBRADY60
I have had the same problem with my new TTS. I pushed the Service Manager to find out if there was a problem because it did not seem right. Like a loose shock or something. They finally found out that someone else had this same problem going or bumps or uneven road. There is a defect with some of the rear mounts. They have ordered the new parts from Germany to take care of the problem. I hope this was helpful to all with a new TTS with this problem.
Thanks. Same here. Should have new bushings in a few days. Will report back after replacement.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Supposedly one of the reasons my TTS was held in port so long is that Audi engineers were onsite and awaiting parts for some upgrade. I wonder if this was it as I've had no such issues.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Huey52
Supposedly one of the reasons my TTS was held in port so long is that Audi engineers were onsite and awaiting parts for some upgrade. I wonder if this was it as I've had no such issues.
I believe I took delivery of my TTS after you (12/22). Maybe it was luck of the draw but would think port fixes like this a far more systematic.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Did your dealer tell you that?
Old 01-28-2016, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

LOL Yeah, I didn't really believe it then either.

Originally Posted by adg44
Did your dealer tell you that?
Old 02-09-2016, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ocean1
Thanks. Same here. Should have new bushings in a few days. Will report back after replacement.
Had rear shock mounts replaced today. No issues on the way home. Appears to have resolved the issue for me.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ocean1
Had rear shock mounts replaced today. No issues on the way home. Appears to have resolved the issue for me.
Took delivery of my TTS on 26 January ( built 16 November ) - right out of the dealership a very loud knocking noise in rear suspension over the smallest bump and there all the time .
Was impossible to drive .
Returned to dealer on the same day - in fact went up the road and made a U-turn.
Checked and was advised it was the rear shock mounts and had to be ordered ex Germany ...10 days later replaced , much improved , however when going over a corrugated section in a road , there is still a knocking noise present in the rear suspension in all Drive Select modes with the least heard in Dynamic mode (but cannot drive like this in the city for fear of further dental work required!! )

Reading on UK forums that the noise is caused by the suspension mounting bushes and not shock mounts and that there are revised parts to be fitted .
Advised my dealer to check with Audi Technical - can anyone add to this with what the real cause or fix is as I am seeing posts with both Shock mounts as well as suspension mount bushes mentioned ?

Between myself and my wife , this is the 9th new Audi purchased since 2001 and very first I am tempted to hand back unless fully and finally repaired .
The TTS now has 296 kilometers on the ( virtual ) clock .
Old 02-15-2016, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

This is quite distressing and makes me intently listen for any anomalies myself. I really don't understand why I have no similar issues with my 08 October build unless another mount vendor was subsequently introduced. Apparently even Audi practices "value engineering."
It's also interesting that the least noise is when in Dynamic mode which is the stiffest setting. And it appears from this thread to be TT/TTS agnostic so not the type of shocks (dampers) themselves.
"Shock mounts" typically also include the rubber or polyurethane bushings (bushes in Brit) as an integral assembly/repair part.

Originally Posted by Alsof
Took delivery of my TTS on 26 January ( built 16 November ) - right out of the dealership a very loud knocking noise in rear suspension over the smallest bump and there all the time.
Was impossible to drive .
Returned to dealer on the same day - in fact went up the road and made a U-turn.
Checked and was advised it was the rear shock mounts and had to be ordered ex Germany ...10 days later replaced , much improved , however when going over a corrugated section in a road , there is still a knocking noise present in the rear suspension in all Drive Select modes with the least heard in Dynamic mode (but cannot drive like this in the city for fear of further dental work required!! )

Reading on UK forums that the noise is caused by the suspension mounting bushes and not shock mounts and that there are revised parts to be fitted .
Advised my dealer to check with Audi Technical - can anyone add to this with what the real cause or fix is as I am seeing posts with both Shock mounts as well as suspension mount bushes mentioned ?

Between myself and my wife , this is the 9th new Audi purchased since 2001 and very first I am tempted to hand back unless fully and finally repaired .
The TTS now has 296 kilometers on the ( virtual ) clock .
Old 02-15-2016, 04:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is quite distressing and makes me intently listen for any anomalies myself. I really don't understand why I have no similar issues with my 08 October build unless another mount vendor was subsequently introduced. Apparently even Audi practices "value engineering."
It's also interesting that the least noise is when in Dynamic mode which is the stiffest setting. And it appears from this thread to be TT/TTS agnostic so not the type of shocks (dampers) themselves.
"Shock mounts" typically also include the rubber or polyurethane bushings (bushes in Brit) as an integral assembly/repair part.
Not a technical kind of person , however is a shock mount same as a suspension mount bush or are they two different parts used in one instance where the shock gets mounted to the chassis and the other where the suspension is mounted to the chassis ?

Quick Reply: TTS ... Rear Suspension Noise