TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

TTS squealing brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 05:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TTS squealing brakes

Anyone else having this? It happens at low speeds, always the tail end of a gradual stop. On my smaller A3 brakes, this would happen while they're still cold, but the opposite happens on the TTS. They'll start off silent for a few stops, then starting squealing for every one after that.

From what I've read, this is either:
A) common Audi complaint, and completely normal. They just need time to wear-in/this is typical of "high performance brakes".

B) the exact opposite, and I should insist it be remedied by the dealer.

Any opinions/experiences?
Old 10-27-2015, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Although most people don't bother with it, there is a "bed in" procedure for brakepads. Of course performance pads, which the TTS likely has, typically tend to have more squeal.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Huey, I guess I was confused by the polar opposite information I was finding. I don't want to harass a dealer if it's something that's commonly known to happen or fade over time. At the same time, I don't hear other cars doing this, and there's no shortage of far more expensive, sporty ones all around me here haha. Just feels embarrassing to sound like a garbage truck pulling up to a stop light (only slightly exaggerating) :\ Wish there was more space nearby where it would be safe try the "bed-in".
Old 10-27-2015, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

The TTS has a performance brake compound so it will make some noise sometimes. You are likely just hearing it now because the pads still need to bed in. The brakes on the TTS are massive and the pedal feel is excellent. For a sports car you will make a trade off with pad noise for stopping power. Just give it some time...
Old 10-28-2015, 11:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by adg44
The brakes on the TTS are massive and the pedal feel is excellent.
Totally agree! I'll just try to be patient =)
Old 10-29-2015, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello @derekr. It's not uncommon for new cars to have some brake squeal. Often it goes away after a few hundred miles as the brakes bed themselves in. Sometimes, doing a bed-in procedure will help. But, if the squealing persists past the break-in period, then you should take your car in for service.

The majority of brake squealing is caused by vibration (resonance instability) occurring at the metal-to-metal contact points of the brake components. Examples include:

- Where the caliper pistons contact with the back of the brake pad
- Where retaining pins and spring clips contact each other, or the caliper
- The slide on a floating caliper
- Where the caliper bolts onto the spindle

The fix is to disassemble the caliper (but leaving the pistons intact); clean the metal-to-metal contact points to remove any rust; apply a thin film of high temperature, high solids, anti-seize compound at all metal-to-metal contact points; and reassemble.

This allows the metal to metal components to move independently of each other and thereby eliminate the force-coupled excitation that can create frequencies which are heard as a squeal. Cold weather, along with high humidity, often makes brake squeal worse. And sometimes the squeal goes away when the brakes warm up. But proper component lubrication during assembly is the key to quiet brakes.

BTW....thanks to all the posters regarding their comments on the new TTS. We are seriously considering one, but are waiting to see whether Audi eventually offers another 19" wheel design for the U.S. I'm hoping we can eventually get the 19" 5-arm facet design wheels that came on the Launch Edition; perhaps once all those cars are sold.

All the best to everyone!