TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

When Do TT RS Exhaust Flaps Open And Close On Sports Exhuast ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,070 Likes on 744 Posts

Not sure if any of you speak German and understood the explanation of what the module actually does in the video where he explains it. I noticed the subtitles don't work, but I speak German. There is some misconception here. The thing with the exhaust valves on any of the Audis is if you put the transmission in S, the valves open, but if you put the transmission back in D, they close. The valves always open at higher rpm to reduce back pressure. In the TT RS, it's somewhat more confusing because of the separate exhaust valve button. So, when you open the exhaust valves while in Park, but then put the transmission in D, they close. You have to open them again or put the transmission in S. I'm not so sure why this is all that confusing, though. Sort of a general rule is transmission in D => valves closed, transmission in S => valves open, unless you temporarily override it with the exhaust valve button. Regardless, the valves do open at higher rpm to reduce back pressure. It would be completely counterproductive for them to close at higher rpm.

What the module does is basically change the default behavior. If you press the exhaust valve button, the valves stay open, regardless of if you are going back and forth between D and S.

Also, the valves open on cold start, but then close. The module leaves them open after a cold start.

Last edited by superswiss; 12-16-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the valves open at cooks start-up, then close then open, they close just after 3500 revs then close and do not open until just after 5500 rpm.

As you say, that module, once initiated, keeps the valves open until the ignition is turned off.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,070 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenNotRed
I thought the valves open at cooks start-up, then close then open, they close just after 3500 revs then close and do not open until just after 5500 rpm.

As you say, that module, once initiated, keeps the valves open until the ignition is turned off.
No, they open on cold start, but once the vacuum has built they close and they stay closed. If you put the transmission in S after the cold start, then they open up and stay open until you put the transmission back in D, or manually close them with the exhaust button. Above 5500 rpm they always open, but below that they should stay open as long as the transmission is in S or if the transmission is in D and you manually opened them with the button. However, changing between D/S or changing your Drive Select mode will clear the exhaust button back to the default, so if you put Drive Select in Dynamic, the valves open, if you put it in Auto/Comfort the valves close. There are some more nuances to it. I believe if you put Drive Select in Comfort, then the valves stay closed even if you put the transmission in S, and I think if you put Drive Select in Dynamic and then put the transmission in D, the valves stay open. Similarly if you use individual mode with engine sound set to Dynamic. They have made it a bit more confusing as of late. My RS5 is a lot more straight forward. There is no button and no Drive Select setting for engine sound, so valves are open if I put the transmission in S and they close if I put the transmission D. Except if I put Drive Select in Dynamic and then put the transmission in D, the valves stay open. So, they added a bit of confusion, but I learned quickly when the valves are open and when they are not. On the RS5, the valves always open at 3800 rpm, so that's also a lot lower than the 5500 rpm on the TT RS.

This will even get more confusing moving forward as the EU passed new noise regulations. The manual exhaust buttons will go away, and the valves will always stay closed below 80 kmh.

Despite it being a bit confusing, I can think of better ways to spend 500 Euro than this module. I think you'll learn how the factory programming behaves and you will get used to it.

Also, road noise etc. drowns out the exhaust on the TT RS, because due to being a turbo charged engine, the exhaust is not all that loud. So I think what you perceive as the valves closing is other noise drowning out the exhaust.

Last edited by superswiss; 12-16-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, all very confusing. Not sure what I'm going to do yet.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:15 PM
Previously “CALE262”

Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

$400 for a module that just keep the valves open, does it do anything else? I wonder how long it will be before OBDeleven has a fix for this, maybe a week or two, I think I’ll send them a message

https://obdeleven.com/en/

Last edited by BRKNJMPR; 12-16-2017 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Give me $400 and I'll tell you how to keep them open. Pull back on shifter
I don't get how this is an issue but then again my car doesn't know D
Old 12-16-2017, 10:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BRKNJMPR
$400 for a module that just keep the valves open, does it do anything else? I wonder how long it will be before OBDeleven has a fix for this, maybe a week or two, I think I’ll send them a message

https://obdeleven.com/en/
Not seen that before. Do you just plug it into the diagnostic port and leave it there or can you remove it once you've made a change?
Old 12-16-2017, 10:21 PM
Previously “CALE262”

Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

Not seen that before. Do you just plug it into the diagnostic port and leave it there or can you remove it once you've made a change?
You can leave it in the OBD2 port if you want or if you’re doing some logging, its the newest take on the VCDS. You can use it for long coding and making changes to the way your car reacts...dont like the door chime, turn it off...want the DTRL to stay on when you signal a turn, you can do that too. It’s VAGCOM or Volkswagen Audi Group Communication tool that can code your car to operate more the way you want it to without having to learn the long coding. OBDeleven allows these changes with a single selection of the operation you want to change, put it in, choose the change and throw it in you glove box. The only part I dont like about the OBDeleven is the fact that is makes my $600 VCDS HEX-NET tool obsolete for less than $100 and it only works with an Android, no iPhone.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

I swear the flaps on the sports exhaust dont stay open, it's like they open up to 3000rpm and then start to close - the exhuast note talis off up the rev range or I am imagining it?
I have developed a simple technique for keeping the exhaust valves open all the time. I keep the car in Drive Select Dynamic mode but select "D" for the transmission using the shifter and then press the exhaust button. To get the aggression from the transmission that I like, I use the paddle shifters or the stick shifter. This technique is particularly rewarding sonically when coming to a stop, downshifting when the revs get down to about 2000 and is most pronounced when downshifting into first. Couple of provisos are that the car must be warm and if you select "S" on the transmission, it will cancel the sport exhaust mode while in "D" so you will have to hit the button again. This technique is guaranteed to turn a few heads by delivering rewarding pops and burbles when coming up to stop lights and in particular with cars on both sides to reflect the sound. If you have not already figured it out, pulling down once on the stick shifter will cancel the transmission's manual ("M") mode when you use the paddles and put you back in to "D"
Old 12-30-2017, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys, I'm new to this forum and don't have a car yet, but isn't there a fuse that you could pull so that the muffler valves are always open? I know that the Corvettes and ZL1 Camaros have a fuse that controls the opening and closing of the muffler valves and pulling it allows the valve to stay open all the time.

Quick Reply: When Do TT RS Exhaust Flaps Open And Close On Sports Exhuast ?