VAG-COM Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 A6 Avant (C4) 140 TDI (AEL) ECU Swap ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 05:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Some later Audis had Immo-2 ECUs but "Immo-3 Ready"

Cheers -Uwe- and sorry if I were quoting you out of context, but was just trying fully understand the procedure to be sure before doing the swap for reasons previously explained. I know my car is early diagnostics, and pretty limited in scope, (although being able to set the injection timing accurately is very useful), mine was retarded a little and now starts from cold much better.

Did you have any comment / opinion on what the Haynes manual says or is part of the ECU swap process mentioned for my car using vag-com also inputting the basic settings anyway? "re-quoted below"

----------------------------------------------

Also the Haynes manual for my car, (which I know should be taken with a large bucket of salt), says, and I quote:-

"Always wait at least 30 seconds after switching off the ignition before disconnecting the ECU. When the wiring is disconnected, all the learned values are erased, however any contents of the fault memory are retained, After reconnecting the wiring, the basic settings must be reinstated by an Audi dealer using special equipment. Note that if the ECU is renewed, the identification of the new ECU must be transferred to the immobiliser control unity by an Audi dealer"

--------------------------------------------
Old 05-03-2006, 09:34 AM
Audiworld Premium Sponsor

Default Comments

The ECU stores some stuff in non-volatile memory after you turn off the ignition switch, hence the note to wait 30 seconds.

If it was a gasoline ("petrol"), it should have a TBA done after the ECU has experienced a total loss of power (as when swapping it). Depending on the car, if it has an auto trans, a kick-down calibration might also be in order. On a TDI with a manual trans, I don't think there's anything that needs to be done.

-Uwe-
Old 05-12-2006, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Comments

Swappped out the ECU's a few days ago, (not had time before), followed the immo 1 procedure and it's been running fine on the old, (secondhand ECU), original is now stored under the back seat in a motherboard anti-static bag.

Thanks to all for the assistance...