VAG-COM Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag light on. Vag-com points to control module. Anyone replace it? (searched - fnd a little info)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 04:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag light on. Vag-com points to control module. Anyone replace it? (searched - fnd a little info)

Airbag came on when warming up the car a few weeks back. When clearing, it just pops back up instantly.

8D0 959 655 G
Component and/or Version: Airbag Front+Kopf 1002
Software Coding: 00304
Work Shop Code: WSC 06335
1 Fault Found:
65535 - Internal Control Module Memory Error
00-10 - - - Intermittent

Am I going to need a new airbag module? Found some mention of clock spring or connector, but with that error I believe it's the module itself. Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:07 PM

Hofman

Default Re: Airbag light on. Vag-com points to control module. Anyone replace it? (searched - fnd a little i

It's the air bag controler;
It's Toast!
It seams these puppys do this some-times!
Sorry!
Old 02-27-2004, 08:20 PM

Hofman

Default Re: Airbag light on. Vag-com points to control module. Anyone replace it? (searched - fnd a little i

Ya know I just re-read your post and 65535 was Intermittent! This is unusual. try clearing it. if your really, really lucky you will be good to go. but I bet It will be as I said "It's Toast!
". Tell us more.
consch
Old 02-27-2004, 08:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What's involved in replacing it? Can I get a used module? Easy replacement?
Old 02-27-2004, 08:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Tried clearing it and instantly (1/2 sec.) the error comes back up.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:12 PM

Hofman

Default Re: What's involved in replacing it? Can I get a used module? Easy replacement?

Hi Garrett:
To be honest I am more a VW guy than an Audi guy, but in general these are bolted to the central tunnel somewhere between the shifter and the firewall. Which on an Audi (and I don't even know which vehicle you have!) takes a fair amount of physical diss=assembly!
Now as to a replacement module. the only sure bet is a new unit from Audi. If you go the bone-yard route find a vehicle the same as yours that is not hit in the front, and has enough electrical system left that you can apply battery and scan it.
Or try an internet search (http://www.car-part.com/) is a good one but try to get some type of gaurentee from the seller
Good luck
Consch
Old 03-01-2004, 08:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: What's involved in replacing it? Can I get a used module? Easy replacement?

To be more specific, I have a 2000 A4 1.8T. I have located the module (behind the HVAC controls).

I've also been able to locate a few used modules ranging from $100 to $300, but I have a few questions:
1. If the module is used and it's from the same model do I need to code it?
2. If the car was in an accident that caused the airbags to deploy, should I stay away from it?
3. Lastly, some of the modules have a part number with differing last letters. Mine ends in a G. Some that I've found end in a K. Do you know what the last letter represents in the part number? example: 8D0 959 655 G

Thanks again for all your help,
Garrett
Old 03-03-2004, 12:29 PM

You have an unclearable internal hard code (alles kaput). A new from-dealer module for my 2000 A8 cost about $425 (?? I'm remembering)when discounted from list, the new module had a slightly different alpha suffix as I recall. You do have to code it to recognize the controlled devices.

One multiplug and a few 10mm bolts after you get to it.

Call around or email various dealers until you get the same story on the part # and the best price. They probably will have to get it from NJ. I would not mess with a used one for liability and hassle reasons. Good luck.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:39 PM

Hofman

Default A controler that has deployed air bags is of no value.

It's dead (00595 crash data stored)!
Old 03-04-2004, 08:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Does a used module have to be coded? If I can get a guarantee I might get a used one. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Airbag light on. Vag-com points to control module. Anyone replace it? (searched - fnd a little info)