Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c7 2013 S6 - ACC Power Timer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 10:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts
Default c7 2013 S6 - ACC Power Timer?

I have noticed that when I leave my car running on ACC Power for an extended period of time, the car will eventually shut down to preserve battery.

Is there a setting in VCDS where I can either change the amount of time the car will remain active on ACC power, or better yet disable the shut down feature?

I have reason to want to run the car on a charger with ACC power for an extended period of time, but the car keeps shutting itself down after about 20 or 30 minutes.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:06 AM
Audiworld Premium Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where are you connecting the charger? Are you connecting directly to the battery? If so, the battery management knows nothing of the charge you are keeping on the battery. Instead it sees constant current drain to other devices. What it needs to see is the charging current passing through it and then it may not complain about the accessories running.

We do this all the time at the office to do our development. But, we must connect the charger to the proper points in the system or the system gets confused.

You can read from my reply that there is no known way to change the time. The battery controller algorithm sheds loads based on what it calculates the charge in the battery might be. When that charge gets below a threshold, it starts turning things off.

We run our vehicles for hours on a charger with ignition on, engine off. All systems are powered and remain powered. We do not have the HVAC stuff trying to heat/cool the vehicle - that we do shut down. We also shut down headlights and such to reduce the load on the charger.

Last edited by bearthebruce; 09-25-2015 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bearthebruce
Where are you connecting the charger? Are you connecting directly to the battery? If so, the battery management knows nothing of the charge you are keeping on the battery. Instead it sees constant current drain to other devices. What it needs to see is the charging current passing through it and then it may not complain about the accessories running.

We do this all the time at the office to do our development. But, we must connect the charger to the proper points in the system or the system gets confused.

You can read from my reply that there is no known way to change the time. The battery controller algorithm sheds loads based on what it calculates the charge in the battery might be. When that charge gets below a threshold, it starts turning things off.

We run our vehicles for hours on a charger with ignition on, engine off. All systems are powered and remain powered. We do not have the HVAC stuff trying to heat/cool the vehicle - that we do shut down. We also shut down headlights and such to reduce the load on the charger.

It's a CTek US Multi25000 charger. I connect it to the jumper posts in the engine bay. It charges perfectly from that spot without having to go pull the spare tire out.

The charger has a trickle charge mode, but also a Supply mode that let's you run the car's electronics with a 13.5V stable supply. I use the Supply mode most frequently. It's very helpful for car audio competitions, or when tuning the stereo because I don't have the engine noise interfering or the carbon monoxide building up in the garage from the engine.

There stereo is approx. 1580 Watts, but it never puts a dent in the voltage from the charger. I have run the car for 8-12 hours with the stereo playing at some car shows, with no issues. The only problem is that I have to keep opening and closing the driver's door every 15-20 minutes to keep the car awake.