VAG-COM Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Connection varification

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 11:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Connection varification

I'm just getting familiar with the Vag-Hex and so might just not be the sharpest knife in the drawer,but....

I hooked up a friends '93 90cs to try and debug an airbag MIL. Found the Chassis desigation selection in the auto scan section, and wondered if proper definition of the vehicle platform is needed to properly scan the sections. ??

More to the point. The first step taken after connecting the hard ware was to do the "Test" to varify the hardware connections. The "test" function and the "LED" test both said GOOD. Then I tried the 015 "Airbag" section. After clearing the 200-2001 airbag warning field, I tried a scan but got no response. I say the "attempts" indication in the upper left screen while this was try was taking place. I then tried the auto scan, and got nothing again, aborting the process at section 018. I was thinking I had a dud something somewhere, or this car just didn't interface with the airbag function.

About this time, the owner of the car took an interest in what was going on under the hood, and wiggled the connections of the four wire to OBD II adaptor. I had just pointed out that the LED on the adaptor was changing from green to orange alternately. 'Send and receive I would guess. I was trying the climate control section at that time, and then got the first real response. The Screen boxes filled in etc.

Taking this as a good sign, I tried the 015 airbag section again and the error "588" was displayed along with a text description. Good enough, an intermitant connection problem. I reset the error code with a stoke of the curser and a touch of the mouse.(nice software!)

All was well. My friend who had just paid $100 to have an "Audi service" shop tell him he needed to have his airbag system replaced, now had his system "reset" for free. If there is no "real problem" He is a happy camper. If the MIL returns, He knows more than he did before. I think he should check the electrical connections before making any hastey purchases.

So, my question. If the "test" function says GOOD, how can one tell if the set up is really communicating? This first test suggests to me that the uncertainty of the diagnostics may cause misleading results.

If I check the Ross tech pages for the available functions table based on model, can I presume that a non positive response after a scan of that function means a connection difficulty?

I have the USB "dongle" version with an early model adapter.

Regards

CalG
Old 04-21-2004, 11:31 AM
Audiworld Premium Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test doesn't say "GOOD"

What did it actually say?
Old 04-21-2004, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Test doesn't say "GOOD"

Jee! I didn't write it down, But I recall that after the LED test segment (Why I did that LED test, I don't know, What does it really do?) I saw some text in a small pop up box that indicated the testing was OK. I read a similar message after doing the "test" as well.

You are correct that diagnosis would be easier if all the "problems" are recorded and offered back accurately. But when a problem is NOT suspected, who goes about writing down every message and screen display that appears.

Then, "AFTER" the problem is rectified, One can NOT recover the earlier information.

You know the program. What are the display text options. Perhaps if I saw it, I could better recall.

I appreciate your assistance.

I know the owner of the 90cs is a happy camper!

Regards

Cal