VAG-COM Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does ROSS-TECH has a wireless interface?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does ROSS-TECH has a wireless interface?

Would it make sense to have a secured wireless 801.a,b,or g interface? Aside from being able to connect in the cockpit (unless there is another way), has anyone hooked up a wireless starter to your auto? Also, it would eliminate the need to hook up all the time(not that it is hard now) If Ross-Tech had wireless you could start your audi in the AM before you go out the door and perform checks and set the tranny for you desired driving while eating breakfast and reading the paper. Now that is pampered.

If a wireless was available could it be easily coded to a PDA? Not pushing here just curious and
Just wondering :-). I am considering getting it.

I have a friend who has the wireless starter, but not in an Audi and that gave me the idea.

Or am I way off and do not understand the software?

ZeekM
Old 01-25-2004, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default I might have some info for you. But Uwe feel free to correct me....

I spoke to Uwe breifly about this last week when I was there visiting with Greenie's 04 A8.

Uwe said that blue tooth's protocol is way too flakey to offer steady solid data streaming capabilities with a PC. (Makes sense to me because I remember at Blue Tooth's conception the founders were trying to shut out the networking folks and for this very reason the protocol has some flaws that would be noticed in an application like this)

He said that wireless lan could support it but the cost involved with doing a system of that nature is quite cost prohibitive. Look at what HEX-COM and HEX-USB already cost. That price would go up considerably for a wireless setup. Then add to the fact that few people would probably want to pay the premium to have it wireless. Keep in mind not all of his users are wheeling around in 40k+ Audi's. I am sure if you sent a large enough of sum of loot to Uwe they might whip something up for you. :-)

I will let Uwe chime in from here. Please dont quote Uwe on my last sentance in the paragraph above. That is only my opinion from what I saw. I have incredible respect and admiration for his efforts and his development team. The fact that we can even get into our cars the way that we can, amazes me. We are very lucky to have someone like Uwe and his team at Ross-Tech doing the amazing work they do to help keep the cost of ownership of our vehicles down.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:55 PM

Default That makes sense. I was just curious and not willing to shovel large amounts of $ either.

If it were in the couple of hundrend $ each that would be different, but I don't need it. However, I do feel that within the next several to 10 years as software and hardware develops more that this type of technology and wireless will bwanted in the market. imo.

Thanks for responding.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:22 PM
Audiworld Premium Sponsor

Default The unpredictable baud rates

and the sensitivity that the VAG protocols have about latency would make a wireless connection a substantial technical challenge, i.e. low-cost off-the-shelf stuff just won't work.

-Uwe-
Old 01-28-2004, 04:41 AM

Thanks for answering.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:59 AM

Default Re: If you have an on-board Windows PC mod...

You can use Windows Remote Terminal on your home PC and access the onboard PC via a wireless link.. while downloading a few MP3's on the go.. before you finish your cereals in the morning....!