Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with usb retrofit (audi Q3 MIB2+)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2024, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SMac770
So if I search on that device and come to pictures such as here, https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805237688759.html , what we see is the important factor, that it's a 6-pin connector, and it has no AUX port. As such, we know they are bundling a generic all-applications cable, not the actual cable that would be used in a Q3.

The 83A 035 736 to I8T MIB2+ High wiring has only three wires to it, and then the HSD cable (which is what carries all the USB data to the J794).

1 - red/violet to 12v fuse "C16" (if yours is red/yellow, it doesn't really matter, so long as it's the wire on pin 1 of the 6-pin to the USB device)
2 - brown to chassis ground
3 - to J794 12-pin green pin 3 (this is 5V for the USB charging port, but the USB data hub uses it simply as a remote turn-on signal, as the device is otherwise powered directly by the battery)

The 12-pin green has only 2 pins used in a F3 vehicle. 3 is 5V and 4 is ground for the USB charge only port. 3 is 5V and that's the only pin used for the USB data devices. From what I see in the wiring diagrams. All the wires on 1/2/7/8 for AUX is irrelevant for that installation.
Wow man thanks for all the explanations.
You're the first to give me clear instructions, I finally understood how it works and the use of each wire!

One final question : on the pictures you see, can I leave all the pins that are unuseful and listed as on your post, or do I have to remove them ?

And you confirm to me I got to add grounding rings to the pins attached to J794 (yellow/red and ground)

? (this gets me mad why they didn't put it that way, would have saved me a lot of questioning...)
Old 07-02-2024, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2,065 Likes on 1,759 Posts

Here's what I'd do for the wiring. You have to run the HSD cable, that's a given. But you're basically replacing 83A 035 726 unit with the 83A 035 736 unit.

https://rrr.lt/en/used-part/mja71977...cket-connector

We see it uses the same 6-pin plug for 726 or 736. Your existing 726 plug has two wires on it. blue/violet on 1 and brown on 2. That blue/violet goes back to J794 12-pin green pin 3. The brown goes back to the 12-bin green pin 4. I would just move the blue/violet from pin 1 to pin 3, remove the brown from pin 2 and just tape it off, then put in the new red/yellow wire and brown wire from that new harness and run them where they belong, red/yellow to some source of battery 12v (putting a fuse terminal on it and mounting it in C16 would be the factory way) and brown to some chassis ground. Then route the HSD cable and you're done (well, for the wiring; no idea if you need to do any "programming").
The following users liked this post:
Mololo77 (07-02-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Here's what I'd do for the wiring. You have to run the HSD cable, that's a given. But you're basically replacing 83A 035 726 unit with the 83A 035 736 unit.

https://rrr.lt/en/used-part/mja71977...cket-connector

We see it uses the same 6-pin plug for 726 or 736. Your existing 726 plug has two wires on it. blue/violet on 1 and brown on 2. That blue/violet goes back to J794 12-pin green pin 3. The brown goes back to the 12-bin green pin 4. I would just move the blue/violet from pin 1 to pin 3, remove the brown from pin 2 and just tape it off, then put in the new red/yellow wire and brown wire from that new harness and run them where they belong, red/yellow to some source of battery 12v (putting a fuse terminal on it and mounting it in C16 would be the factory way) and brown to some chassis ground. Then route the HSD cable and you're done (well, for the wiring; no idea if you need to do any "programming").
Great, nice way to keep the old green connector in place, I think this way is easier and therefore doesn't require me to find a way for the new harness except for the fuse box pin and the ground pin.

One question, how do I do with this 90 degrees HSD cable ? Is there a way to put it at 180 degrees ?
Also, I need to splice a pin for my Qi charger because pin locations are already in use on the MMI,

have you ever done that?
Old 07-04-2024, 02:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

So the HSD "connect by colors" thing. You have to start with what is an HSD cable. It's not a single conductor cable like FAKRA, where the plastic connector can spin around to match the locking tab orientation on the device. Pin 1 (of 4) must always be where pin 1 must go.

The standard HSD jack is on the left. Notice the color coded pin associations. Blue is pin 1, orange is pin 2, green is pin 3, brown is pin 4. 1 and 3 is one data pair, 2 and 4 is the other data pair. Cool. And you can have cables with straight (180°) connectors or cables with 90° connectors. For the 90°, the cable could turn down, left, or right. But for it to turn up, now the cable interferes with accessing the locking tab. The HSD gods that be decided to make a second jack version, with the connector plastic turned over. Now you can have an "up" cable that didn't interfere with the locking tab. But. They turned the plastic upside down, but not the pins. Notice blue is still where blue was. If I have a "down" cable, what's to stop me from just turning it around and using it as an "up" cable with that "upside down" jack? Now it fits, but the device pins are matched to the wrong cable pins. Yeah, just turning the pins 180° along with the connector would have made it easy. Must have been easier for them to make a whole second set of connector colors than to make a second surface mount device.

Instead, we get a completely different set of connector colors and connector keying just for the "upside down" jack. Notice the key slots to the sides, they are at the middle on the normal surface mount connector but are closer to the locking tab on the inverted surface mount connector. You can also see in the image, the colors of the two surface mount connectors are not the same. Because they are not "interchangeable".

Here we see the HSD color scheme. There's basically two groups, the left group and the right group. If you have a device jack of a color in the left group, you need to use a cable plug of a color in the left group. And same for colors of the right group. Otherwise, you're mixing the pin orientations and things will not work.

It does not matter about the colors on the other end of the cable, on the other device. Those have to match each other as well, but the colors on the two ends of the cable do not have to match, and often do not. See https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-.../#post25749666 Audi in the B9 is using Leaf Green for the USB output port and Curry Yellow on the MIB2 J794 USB input port. Then they changed the USB device to have a "remote USB port". The remote USB port uses again Leaf Green for the USB output, and the USB hub now has a Claret Violet port for the USB input. So that cable would be Leaf Green to Claret Violet, while the cable to the MIB2 would be Leaf Green to Curry Yellow.

But then MIB3 changes that J794 USB port from Curry Yellow to Nut Brown. This is the same in your MIB2+, the difference between MIB2+ Standard with Curry Yellow and MIB2+ High with Nut Brown. Clearly MIB2+ Standard was a carry over of MIB2 and MIB2+ High was the new tech that evolved into MIB3. But what does this mean? Nut Brown and Curry Yellow are not the same color group. You can't plug that Curry Yellow cable into that Nut Brown device and expect things to work.

Understand the colors within the two groups. The wiring is the same for the different colors, just the plastic key tabs are different. The purpose of all this is to give device makers a means to differentiate all the HSD jacks on the device. If I have four HSD cables at the J794, which one goes to which? If I just have the colors on the cable connectors done smartly, it'll be obvious which plugs into which. But just to force the issue, the different colors have different physical keying. So really want to shove that leaf green cable into that signal blue jack? Electrically, it's just fine. But you'll have to file down some of that plastic to get it to physically insert. This is where the "universal", ie unkeyed, colors come in, at the bottom. Water Blue and Light Green (not sure what colorblind person assigned that name). Also, the keys can be referred to by letter. So a Water Blue to Water Blue cable would be a Z to Z cable.

But Nut Brown and Curry Yellow, not the same group, so not interchangeable. So that HSD cable is useless in your config anyway, even if it wasn't the wrong 90° angle for your install. It would be fine in a MIB2 config or MIB2+ Standard config. But MIB2+ High and MIB3, not feasible. At least not without some kind of conversion adapter, an O<>Z adapter. I have no idea if such things are on the market. I imagine most people just get the correct cable. And in your case, it doesn't need to be straight Leaf Green to straight Nut Brown (E-F cable). That would be nice, but you're going to find a straight Water Blue to straight Water Blue (Z-Z cable) much more easily I would expect.

On the Qi charger thing, you're going to have to elaborate on what you're asking. You don't say what pins you're talking about, or what purpose it is for the Qi to be connected to them. Are you talking about the "phone box" Audi device, or is this some third-party device retrofit?
Old 07-06-2024, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So the HSD "connect by colors" thing. You have to start with what is an HSD cable. It's not a single conductor cable like FAKRA, where the plastic connector can spin around to match the locking tab orientation on the device. Pin 1 (of 4) must always be where pin 1 must go.

The standard HSD jack is on the left. Notice the color coded pin associations. Blue is pin 1, orange is pin 2, green is pin 3, brown is pin 4. 1 and 3 is one data pair, 2 and 4 is the other data pair. Cool. And you can have cables with straight (180°) connectors or cables with 90° connectors. For the 90°, the cable could turn down, left, or right. But for it to turn up, now the cable interferes with accessing the locking tab. The HSD gods that be decided to make a second jack version, with the connector plastic turned over. Now you can have an "up" cable that didn't interfere with the locking tab. But. They turned the plastic upside down, but not the pins. Notice blue is still where blue was. If I have a "down" cable, what's to stop me from just turning it around and using it as an "up" cable with that "upside down" jack? Now it fits, but the device pins are matched to the wrong cable pins. Yeah, just turning the pins 180° along with the connector would have made it easy. Must have been easier for them to make a whole second set of connector colors than to make a second surface mount device.

Instead, we get a completely different set of connector colors and connector keying just for the "upside down" jack. Notice the key slots to the sides, they are at the middle on the normal surface mount connector but are closer to the locking tab on the inverted surface mount connector. You can also see in the image, the colors of the two surface mount connectors are not the same. Because they are not "interchangeable".

Here we see the HSD color scheme. There's basically two groups, the left group and the right group. If you have a device jack of a color in the left group, you need to use a cable plug of a color in the left group. And same for colors of the right group. Otherwise, you're mixing the pin orientations and things will not work.

It does not matter about the colors on the other end of the cable, on the other device. Those have to match each other as well, but the colors on the two ends of the cable do not have to match, and often do not. See https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-.../#post25749666 Audi in the B9 is using Leaf Green for the USB output port and Curry Yellow on the MIB2 J794 USB input port. Then they changed the USB device to have a "remote USB port". The remote USB port uses again Leaf Green for the USB output, and the USB hub now has a Claret Violet port for the USB input. So that cable would be Leaf Green to Claret Violet, while the cable to the MIB2 would be Leaf Green to Curry Yellow.

But then MIB3 changes that J794 USB port from Curry Yellow to Nut Brown. This is the same in your MIB2+, the difference between MIB2+ Standard with Curry Yellow and MIB2+ High with Nut Brown. Clearly MIB2+ Standard was a carry over of MIB2 and MIB2+ High was the new tech that evolved into MIB3. But what does this mean? Nut Brown and Curry Yellow are not the same color group. You can't plug that Curry Yellow cable into that Nut Brown device and expect things to work.

Understand the colors within the two groups. The wiring is the same for the different colors, just the plastic key tabs are different. The purpose of all this is to give device makers a means to differentiate all the HSD jacks on the device. If I have four HSD cables at the J794, which one goes to which? If I just have the colors on the cable connectors done smartly, it'll be obvious which plugs into which. But just to force the issue, the different colors have different physical keying. So really want to shove that leaf green cable into that signal blue jack? Electrically, it's just fine. But you'll have to file down some of that plastic to get it to physically insert. This is where the "universal", ie unkeyed, colors come in, at the bottom. Water Blue and Light Green (not sure what colorblind person assigned that name). Also, the keys can be referred to by letter. So a Water Blue to Water Blue cable would be a Z to Z cable.

But Nut Brown and Curry Yellow, not the same group, so not interchangeable. So that HSD cable is useless in your config anyway, even if it wasn't the wrong 90° angle for your install. It would be fine in a MIB2 config or MIB2+ Standard config. But MIB2+ High and MIB3, not feasible. At least not without some kind of conversion adapter, an O<>Z adapter. I have no idea if such things are on the market. I imagine most people just get the correct cable. And in your case, it doesn't need to be straight Leaf Green to straight Nut Brown (E-F cable). That would be nice, but you're going to find a straight Water Blue to straight Water Blue (Z-Z cable) much more easily I would expect.

On the Qi charger thing, you're going to have to elaborate on what you're asking. You don't say what pins you're talking about, or what purpose it is for the Qi to be connected to them. Are you talking about the "phone box" Audi device, or is this some third-party device retrofit?
Thanks for the details. Now I get what is an HSD cable. Took me some time to read all of it but it was a good explanation.
Before your message I ordered a Water Blue (Z to Z) male to female (you're right, it is the easiest to find) but plastic pins around aren't matching so I guess I will just cut them to connect to HSD cable.

My device is an original Audi Phone box, I ordered it from a website of auto parts.
It has 2 pins going to the I block on the MMI on pins 6 and 12 but they are already occupied by 2 other pins so I'll have to use a hub to connect them two by two respectively on pin 6 and pin 12 on the I block.

Same for the fuse box, it has a cable going to the fuse box and I think that it goes to the same location than the 12v red cable used for the new usb port (C16), and one going to ground.
Can you confirm to me I can use a neighbouring location or I have to use a hub to connect both the red wire from the usb port and the one coming from the Audi phone box on the same location on the fuse box ?
Old 07-06-2024, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Post a pic of the connector ends. Water blue should have only the three tabs at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock and should plug into any of the "down" group color jacks.

I'll look up the phone box stuff. It could be you'll need to splice cables if things are to go to the same place as cables for another device.
Old 07-06-2024, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

There's two phone box (J1146) implementations on the F3. 9ZE is wireless charging with external aerial; 9ZV is wireless charging only. Seems there's also a 9ZX, no idea what that is. But looks like 5 of the 6 J1146 pins are used in all configs:

pin 1 > red/violet > fuse C16
pin 4 > brown > ground, front right footwell
pin 2 > orange/brown > infotainment CAN low
pin 3 > orange/violet > infotainment CAN high
pin 6 > violet/yellow > J519, T73 black, pin 14

Yes, the data capable USB hub also uses the same 12v and ground points as the J1146. So you'll just splice those wires together. You could use another empty fuse position, and you could just stack the ring terminals. So you don't have to splice. But the CAN wires, you're definitely going to have to splice to existing wires. The wiring diagram shows them being spliced to the wires you'll find on the back of the J794, on the gray 12-pin pin 7 (low) and pin 1 (high).
Old 07-06-2024, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

There's two phone box (J1146) implementations on the F3. 9ZE is wireless charging with external aerial; 9ZV is wireless charging only. Seems there's also a 9ZX, no idea what that is. But looks like 5 of the 6 J1146 pins are used in all configs:

pin 1 > red/violet > fuse C16
pin 4 > brown > ground, front right footwell
pin 2 > orange/brown > infotainment CAN low
pin 3 > orange/violet > infotainment CAN high
pin 6 > violet/yellow > J519, T73 black, pin 14

Yes, the data capable USB hub also uses the same 12v and ground points as the J1146. So you'll just splice those wires together. You could use another empty fuse position, and you could just stack the ring terminals. So you don't have to splice. But the CAN wires, you're definitely going to have to splice to existing wires. The wiring diagram shows them being spliced to the wires you'll find on the back of the J794, on the gray 12-pin pin 7 (low) and pin 1 (high).
Ok I get it.
Here is the picture for the Z to Z cable I found.

For the phone box, the man who sold me the harness for the Audi phone box gave me this wiring : "The I block is the grey connector in your MMI, you need to connect to pin 6 and 12 for CAN-H and Can-L"
Is it wrong ? This one is different from yours
He didn't tell me anything about the J519 too, where can I find this one ?

Old 07-06-2024, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The J519 connection is so the J519 can disable the charging so it doesn't interfere with the keyless entry/start operations. If you don't have Advanced Key, then it won't matter. But that means you'll need to probably flip some coding bit or adaptation value in the J519. I have no idea what it would be.

Oh, you didn't buy a replacement cable for the not useful one in that kit, you bought an extension cable. The curry is not going to plug into a "Z" jack. Curry is on the right color list, it cannot union with anything on the left color list. If you wanted an extension cable so you could still use that kit cable, you'd need a light green O jack to water blue Z plug cable. I would simply get rid of the kit cable and just get a new Z plug to Z plug cable to use entirely. Also, be sure there's room behind the leaf green jack for a straight plug cable. I know on the A4, the leaf green is a right angle (towards the 6-pin plug) because of the rear vents or rear climate controls or something. It's in that thread.

6/12 is one end, 1/7 is the other end, depends on if they got which end is pin 1 correct. Regardless, the wires are already there in your car, and they're already where they belong. So you can just look.
Old 07-07-2024, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The J519 connection is so the J519 can disable the charging so it doesn't interfere with the keyless entry/start operations. If you don't have Advanced Key, then it won't matter. But that means you'll need to probably flip some coding bit or adaptation value in the J519. I have no idea what it would be.

Oh, you didn't buy a replacement cable for the not useful one in that kit, you bought an extension cable. The curry is not going to plug into a "Z" jack. Curry is on the right color list, it cannot union with anything on the left color list. If you wanted an extension cable so you could still use that kit cable, you'd need a light green O jack to water blue Z plug cable. I would simply get rid of the kit cable and just get a new Z plug to Z plug cable to use entirely. Also, be sure there's room behind the leaf green jack for a straight plug cable. I know on the A4, the leaf green is a right angle (towards the 6-pin plug) because of the rear vents or rear climate controls or something. It's in that thread.

6/12 is one end, 1/7 is the other end, depends on if they got which end is pin 1 correct. Regardless, the wires are already there in your car, and they're already where they belong. So you can just look.
Ok so let me resume

If I got this correctly, this LVDS cable here (not the one before) is good to get into the leaf green entry on the MMI.

And I can connect my Audi Phone box according to what was determined by the seller of the harness.

Last, my key is an advanced key... What would be the simplest solution according to you

?

Thanks again
​​​​​​

Quick Reply: Help with usb retrofit (audi Q3 MIB2+)