VAG-COM Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Symphony II don't wakeup and don't illuminate

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Symphony II don't wakeup and don't illuminate

Hi, I new here and I need help with a issue, I own a Audi A3 1.8T 2005 (8L), with Radio Symphony II without changer and without Bose speakers. I used my Alpine head unit for 2 years, now I put the original Stereo from Audi but the illumination don't appear, the radio don't turn on when I turn on the car and don't show the track/station information on dash LCD, I know that is a CAN-BUS problem, I checked the two wires CAN-BUS that connects to the radio and have 10volts the H, the L have 4 volts, I don't remember exact, but appears that the CAN-BUS is sending information to the radio, why the radio don't turn on by it self? Why the illumination don't appear? Do I need to use a VAG-COM at a dealer to "turn-on" again this function?

Thank you.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:11 AM
Audiworld Premium Sponsor

It sounds like your radio is not getting power, should have nothing to do with diagnostics.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:40 AM

Default Re: It sounds like your radio is not getting power, should have nothing to do with diagnostics.

Hi Andy, the Symphony II is working, play cd, tuner, all things, just the main screen turn on, and after a half hour turned on the radio turn it self off. The problem is that the can bus don't inform the radio that the car is on, the car don't inform that illumination is on in order to get the radio illuminated too, the radio don't send information to the center LCD showing the track/station and when I turn the key off the radio still on playing, the car don't inform that is turned off so the radio can't do the same as programmed. What mean CAN L and CAN H? What voltage wich one should have? Can I ground to measure?

I think that the CAN-BUS "brain" don't know that the radio exists because a never used the factory radio, going to the dealer the car advice that radio is missing and the worker shut down the radio can bus features, I think.

Thank you...
Old 02-01-2007, 11:48 AM

Default Something makes no sense here..

I do not think there were any 8L-chassis A3's made for model year 2005.

Post an auto-scan from your car, either from VAG-COM or from dealer's VAS tool so we can see what it is you have.

-Uwe-
Old 02-01-2007, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Something makes no sense here..

Hi, in Brazil the production of Audi A3 8L-chassis ended in dezember,06. We are receiving the new A3 8P now, for 2007. I know that the 8P was launched mid-2002 but in Brazil just in 2007, until this year we can only buy the 8L.

Thank you.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:59 PM

Default OK, that explains a bit, but since nobody here

has ever heard of or seen a 2005 8L, it's not easy to offer advice as to what may be wrong without seeing what's installed in the car. Therefore I'll repeat what I said earlier:

-> Post an auto-scan from your car, either from VAG-COM or from dealer's VAS tool so we can see what it is you have. <-

-Uwe-
Old 02-01-2007, 01:26 PM

Default Re: OK, that explains a bit, but since nobody here

OK, tomorrow I will use a vag-com to see. My dealer wants US$90 just to plug and check! Im thinking to buy that US$10 cables on Ebay. Our 2005 8L is the same configuration of Europe 2001 8L, nothing changed, the same car. Audi invested a lot of money here in Brazil to produce A3 locally, and here we pay 70% taxes on imported cars, this is why we can't have the the 8P, the A3 2.0T 8P costs US$ 85000 here.

Thank you.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:00 AM

Default Re: Radio Symphony II don't wakeup and don't illuminate

Since your radio turns on and works for only a half an hour I would check the voltage on 15 (switched power) on the black (if I remember correctly) plug behind the radio. If you have to turn your radio on manually and it shuts down after a while, it acts like you didn't turn the ignition on. You might have a blown fuse.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Radio Symphony II don't wakeup and don't illuminate

I did not checked the pin 15 but I checked all fuses at the fuse box and all OK. This radio has just 1 cable with power all the time, the remote-on signal is trasmitted by CAN-BUS, i need to go a dealer to see.

Thank you.