Sponsored by:

vcds newbie

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 06:56 AM
q5s
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vcds newbie

Before I start messing with my car I'd thought I'd ask here.
I will install the probgram and connect the cable.
What happens next? Is there a way to back up all the factory settings or a "return to defaults" button I can press when I mess something up?
I need your answer so I can start playing rigt away.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:29 AM
Audiworld Premium Sponsor

Recommend you do an complete Auto-Scan and save the results for future reference. It will contain all the stock module codings. If you're gonna change Adaptation channels in a particular module, you may want to consider generating a Adaptation Channels Map of that module first.

-Uwe-
Old 03-25-2010, 01:53 AM
q5s
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks. Exactly what I was looking for. One last question. Will the dealer know I have been tampering with the car? The car is still under warranty and less than one year old.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:55 AM

They should not know. VCDS will operate in "stealth" mode unless you assign a workshop number to your install. As long as you leave the workshop number to "000000" (zeros), VCDS does not leave traces that you have been there.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:50 AM
q5s
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks again. It is written in the manual exactly as you say but I didn't put the two together. I think I'm ready to start tinkering now unless you have any more important (or not so important) tips for vcds newbies?
I'll post on monday what I've managed to do.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:29 AM
q5s
Audiworld Junior Member

Need a few clarifications.

I connected the cable and hit the test button but the last option out of three "CAN" didn't work. I then switched on the MMI but not the engine. I re-run the test at which point it worked. I left the mmi on for the entire session.

1) Do I have to have the mmi swiched on?

I got the following error (some items erased for sneaky dealer):

Address 5F: Information Electr. (J794) Labels: None
Part No SW: 8T2 035 666 D HW: 8T2 035 666
Component: H-BN-EU H65 0047
Revision: --------
Coding: 01010106010589ED65000B1E000000030001

1 Fault Found:
01043 - Control Module; Incorrect Software Version
000 - -
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Priority: 5
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 129
Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
Bin. Bits: 00000000 00000000
Bin. Bits: 00000000 00010000

2) What does this error mean?

During the scan all sorts of noises were heard in different parts of the car. I could hear the hard disk and various clicks and mechanical noises. At one point a beep was heard and an ESP failure warning came up suggesting I contact my dealer or something like that. It stayed only for 1 or 2 seconds so didn't get a chance to get a good look.

Then I heard the lights whirring and they came up and stayed on. I turned them off after 10 minutes as not to wear the battery down.

3) Can you comment on the above?

I will post a list of mods here and update it. So far I've managed:

1) VIM hack

..but then got scared so came on here to ask for help. As soon as the questions are answered I will continue with the tinkering.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:03 PM

1) The ignition should be on (but engine doesn't have to be running). The state of the MMI should not matter.

2) 01043 - Control Module; Incorrect Software Version

means that this module is unhappy about the version of software loaded in it. Have you loaded different software into your MMI using the optical drive?

3) The various noises and warnings are normal. Audi ABS systems throw a warning when they are accessed to tell you that the ABS is not active while the module is in diagnostic mode (in case you're doing this while driving).

-Uwe-
Old 04-14-2010, 02:00 AM
q5s
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Uwe,

1) Great, good to know.

2) I didn't, but the dealer did under campaign 91E6.

3) Excellent as I kept getting the error everytime the ABS module was being accessed.

So everything is running like clockwork.

I managed a number of mods but I have an additional error now. When I was doing the TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) mod as I finished it threw up an error something like TPMS module faulty. The error would come up everytime I started the car along with a beep and it would stay constantly on at the very top line of the DIS (Driver Information System). I then went into MMI and under TPMS I pressed enter so that the system stores the current values for the tyres. Error has gone for good.

My question is how do I erase this error via vcds so that the dealer doesn't see it? Can I erase errors selectively or I have to erase them all at once? Finally can you type the correct sequence?

As far as I can see it's:

[Auto-Scan] -> Clear all DTCs
Old 04-15-2010, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You can't just erase errors, you need to actually fix the problem. In this case and with the MMI3G this is nothing you can actually do yourself. This is something your dealer needs to take care of - since they messed up it's obviously on them to fix it as well.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Caution!

Just a quick note of caution when not running engine. Be sure to shut off Climate Control (AC/Heat), Bose Radio/CD..etc.. or just Power Down MMI by pressing Power to shut it off. I warn you that anything on Aux Power longer than 10 to 15 minutes will and can throw up Faults (Low Power..etc..). I would invest in a Nice Charger to for Prevent Mode (Battery Drain) because having to Jump Start or Consistant Charging can and will eventually cause MMI issues. To be on the Safe Side I would throw it on a Battery Charger when Playing around anything that requires Power. VCDS generate several different Log for any changes that you make and will Store them on your Computer for Future Reference just in Case you need to switch back to Default. I've been down the Roads before and have learned my Lesson Well. Hope this helps. Laters,

Williebone

Quick Reply: vcds newbie