Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VCDS Training Course for V.W. & Audi

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VCDS Training Course for V.W. & Audi

I attended the first introduction to V.W. & Audi diagnostics course brought to us on by VCDS and Ross Tech. ATG (Automotive Training Group) designed the course and provided the book and instructor Ross Wellwood. The course was held at North Montco Technical Career Center in Lansdale, PA.
I’d like to thank Ross Tech and VCDS for hosting the training course and for all the work that must have been involved to put this all together. All that was required from a student was to physically show up. They provided everything else need for the day. Including 2 VCDS pens, 1 VCDS note pad, 1 VCDS baseball hat and the ATG Volkswagen & Audi Diagnostic training book (book valued at $118.98 with shipping and tax).
North Montco Technical Career Center was an excellent place for the course. The classroom was large enough to seat the 60 some students and the technical automotive garage was first rate. Breakfast snacks and coffee was provided through out the day and never ran dry. The lunch was large, plentiful and good. To my surprise it seems North Montco Technical Career Center also has a culinary arts program and their students provided all the food and services. You couldn’t have asked for a better place to hold the event.
ATG provided the training manual and it is a good manual and I would recommend it to any V.W & Audi tech. You have to keep in mind that it is an introduction to V.W & Audi manual not an over all deep training manual. It covered the basics of track wiring diagrams that tend to confuse most techs because they are not use to them and are a far cry from Alldata & Mitchell and by the end of the day you will understand them a lot better and find they are actually much better. I could see students in the class got a lot from this part of the course and we all know how important wiring diagrams are in repairing vehicles. I myself understood track wiring diagrams from years of using them but was pleasantly surprise that I learned a few things more about them.
The rest of the course was mostly about how V.W. & Audi systems work and most importantly how they present data and info to a tech thru VCDS and other scan tools. We all know they do not present data on a scan tool like any other manufacture. Now being an independent V.W. & Audi tech (self taught no factory training) this has been the most confusing part of my job. After this course I have a lot better understanding of how V.W. & Audi are presenting the data and how VCDS is showing me the data. By far the best thing I got from this course.
The instructor Ross Wellwood is well versed in the automotive field way beyond just V.W. & Audi. You can also tell he likes to teach and has the ability to do so and as a plus he can make you laugh and keep you engaged in the conversation. He also gave us a tip on buying a high currant amp probe or a low currant amp probe from a website that gave a 50% student discount using this password. Excellent deal I bought the low amp and saved $60.00 nothing puts a smile on my face more then saving money.
Ross as an instructor will teach you whatever the course subject is that you signed up for and beyond if you need it. This of course is based on your ability and skills to absorb it. He does teach courses other then V.W. & Audi for ATG and he seems to enjoy it which is a plus. He doesn’t hate his job, which is why he’s good. You will not be disappointed and you will leave with more knowledge then you arrived with that’s for sure.
After 7 hours the course was over and the booked fully covered. Again VCDS and the Ross Tech crew stepped up to the plate and offered to take the students to the technical garage of the career center. This was not part of the training course and was VCDS going beyond what was asked of them for the agreed price.
Once at the garage the class was broken up into groups and the groups rotated from one vehicle bay to another. Rotating we learned adaptation of throttle bodies, generate readiness codes (in the bay), electric parking brake caliper piston retraction and extension, timing of the fuel injection pump on turbo diesel engines when replacing a timing belt (and getting it perfect) and last but not least the instructor Ross was playing with a VCDS set up on a CAN vehicle willing to show you anything you asked about. He showed me that the turbo button in VCDS has nothing to do with a turbo engine at all and is a way to turbo the data rate of the scan tool. (Big difference and boy I felt stupid.) Also when scanning all modules if you chose gateway on a CAN vehicle it’s done in about 4 seconds (and watch the data rate then). That was the end off the day and a good job by all!
I took this course 2/20/10 and I’ve spent the last few days using VSDC and I have to say the tool seem a hell of a lot better to me then it ever was. I thought that VCDS was amazing before and for the price the best scan tool out there by far! After this course I can’t believe it got better.
I also spent the time typing this letter and please forgive my grammar and wording after all I am a grease monkey and not a typist. I wanted to express my gratitude to VCDS and Ross Tech for a job well done and I hope this does it. I also want to convince them to continue holding this course and hopefully deeper ones beyond Introduction to V.W. & Audi.
I would also like to tell others that own and use VCDS, back yard mechanics and V.W, & Audi technicians. This course was worth every penny. If you have ever used VCDS and had a hard time trying to figure out what the scan tool was actually telling you or what the hell it was suppose to mean in V.W. language take this course. I can’t express this strongly enough.
I’ve had VCDS for about 6 years now and I consider myself a good V.W & Audi self taught technician with an associates degree in automotives and man could I have used this course 5 years ago! I have owned the book this course was based on for going on 2 years and read it cover to cover a few times. I feel I still got my money’s worth out of this course and I know you will too. To me the hardest part of V.W. & Audi is the information and the training needed to do the job and there is no way you’ll ever get V.W. to help you unless you’re in a dealership. So do yourself a favor take the course. If you can’t at least buy the book from Ross Tech.

Thank You
Stanley Eckhart
BOST Automotive (Owner/Tech)
vwtech@37.com
Old 06-28-2010, 06:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Date for next class

VCDS has set a new date for the next VCDS Training Course for V.W. & Audi.
It's July 31, 2010, 8am - 6pm, at North Montco Technical Career Center 1265 Sumneytown Pike
Lansdale, PA. The class only has 13 openings left so if you want to attend there isn't much time left. You can sign up at
http://www.ross-tech.com/Merchant2/m..._Code=TR100731

I hope the link works if not go to Ross-Tech.com for info.
You will be better at V.W & Audi diagnostics after the class and it's worth the money.
Good Luck
Old 06-28-2010, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Stan! This link should work:
Introduction to VW/Audi Diagnostics Training Course

Also found on our Training Products & Services page
Old 07-17-2010, 05:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Only 5 spots left. Hurry! Good Luck
Old 07-23-2010, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default VW & Audi training

Thanks Stan ! Just make it I'm the last guy.
Dang
Old 07-24-2010, 12:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

how much is the class
Old 07-24-2010, 06:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

$275.00 and there is only 1 left hurry.....
Good Luck
Old 07-24-2010, 06:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Dang I thought you were in California? I would of told you about the class in are e-mails about the Audi S4.
Enjoy the class and tell Bruce & Uwe were you heard about this class at maybe I'll get some brownie points to use in the future.
Stan
Old 07-24-2010, 06:52 AM
Audiworld Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Stan067
Dang I thought you were in California? I would of told you about the class in are e-mails about the Audi S4.
Enjoy the class and tell Bruce & Uwe were you heard about this class at maybe I'll get some brownie points to use in the future.
Stan
Hey Stan, you have brownie points! You did after attending our first class. We are using some of your ideas for this class. We are talking about developing more advanced classes. So, stay tuned! And as always, thanks for your support.