Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

17 inch snow tires...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-1998, 07:38 PM
Jon

Default 17 inch snow tires...

I plan to get a set of 17inch BBS RC's for track and snow tires. Well, my first concern is what width (rim) should I get? (7, 7.5, 8). For snow tires, I plan to go with 210 A's in either 225/45/17 or 215/45/17. What would you guys suggest? I know that a smaller section width would probably be more effective in the snow... In terms of R tires, any good recommendations for 17 inch tires? This past year, I ran RA1's which were pretty decent (stock 16 inch size).
Old 11-17-1998, 12:26 PM
Jake

Default I don't think I would do that if I were you...

If I were you I would just buy another set of rims for winter because I don't think you want to be changing tires that often on such beautiful wheels. Changing tires may scratch the outside of the rim if it is not done right. Seeing that the RC's are really nice, and expensive wheels, you might be better off by just buying dedicated snow wheels and tires and dedicated summer tires to go with your RC's. I would recommend 17x8 wheels to go with 225/45/17 tires, this combo looks great.<br>This is what I would do if I were you but it's your perogative.<p>Jake<br>(p.s. I have 17x8 with 225/45/17)
Old 11-17-1998, 02:46 PM
erik

Default Re: 17 inch snow tires...

I can think of several reasons NOT to do that:<br>1. You aren't really saving money, because 17" snows are expensive, and you will pay at least $100/yr to swap tires. Between these factors, you could easily buy both the RC's for track use and a set of 15's (or 16's if you must have the bigger wheel for style reasons. I recomend you go 15.<p>2. Less likely to damage rim. Both by eliminating the twice a year tire swap, and by not driving the wheels in winter, where they are more likely to get bent etc.<p>3. 17" snow tires will not be very good in the snow.<p>I highly recomend you get at least an 8" wide wheel for your track tires. I believe 8.5 is the widest you can go without body mods.<p>have fun,<br>erik
Old 11-18-1998, 11:29 AM
Jon

Default actually, the main reason for the 17inch is to clear the big brake kit coming soon....

I plan to ugrade to the Movit Porsche Twin Turbo caliper set up that's why I'm changing to 17 inch wheels. Honestly, I know 17inches in the snow really suck because I use to have a '95 325is with a Brembo brake kit which mandated the use of 17 inch rims. The reason why I'm picking RC's is for their light weight and hopefully they can clear the calipers because the old AC Schnitzer type II's couldn't clear the (Racing Dynamics) Brembo calipers on the BMW. It needed a spacer..... BTW, how much do 17 inch RC's cost in the US? I'm getting them for around $260 per wheel.... (in Hong Kong)
Old 11-18-1998, 02:45 PM
Erik

Default Re: actually, the main reason for the 17inch is to clear the big brake kit coming soon....

I was wondering if brakes were the motivation behind your 17" snows...<br>I still don't recomend it, though.<br>I know several people who switch their big brakes back to stock in winter, so as to be able to use smaller wheels. It's easy. And you can't really use the big brakes in the winter anyway. <br>erik