Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Advice needed for cheap all-season tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-1999, 03:36 PM
Peter

Default Advice needed for cheap all-season tires

Okay, this post has nothing to do with Audis.
I'm all set for tires on my A4, until spring anyway.

But a friend of mine who has a 97 Integra LS needs new tires, and he asked my advice because I have done a fair amount of tire research over the years.
He doesn't drive like I do, so he doesn't need high-performance tires. Nor does he want to bother with snow tires.
He also isn't into spending lots of money on tires like I am.

But he does require a good all season tire, with an emphasis on wet weather handling. However I am more interested in high performance tires and winter tires. I don't know much about recent all-season tires.

I suggested the Bridgestone RE930 based on personal experience with my previous cars.
Jake at the Tire Rack suggested the Bridgestone Turanza Revo or the Firestone SH30 -- which is a derivative of the RE930.
Both of these have Bridgestone's new UNI-T technology.

However, my ignorant friend has a preference for Dunlop tires. Not that there is anything wrong with Dunlops (heck -- I have the sport package 8000E on the A4). But his options are limited to the mediocre D60A2, or the cheaper models which aren't worth considering.

Does Dunlop make anything better than the D60A2, but not as expensive or aggressive as the SP4000 or SP5000 -- just in case I can't talk him into the Bridgestone ?

For that matter, how good are the Dunlop D60s ?
Or on the other hand, if he is open-minded enough to consider other brands, what are some other suggestions in the same price range?

Thanks,
Peter
98.5 Pelican Blue A4 1.8tqms

doing research for my friend with 97 Integra LS
tire size 195/60-R14
Old 12-15-1999, 06:13 PM
BDW

Default How about Goodyear Eagle HPs ...

at $57 a pop from Tire Rack? Friend of mine has a set in 15 inch size and has been happy. They have an H rating and a fairly sporty profile. He thinks it's a good tire for the money (50,000 mile tire, I think).

BDW
Old 12-16-1999, 01:43 AM
ChuckH

Default I had RE930's on the original wheels for my 90Q, and was very...

...pleased with them. After putting snow tires on those rims and getting a whole new summer set, I sold the RE930's to a friend of mine who put them on his Honda Accord (same size as what your friend needs, BTW). He too is extremely pleased with those tires. I've had many sets of Bridgestone tires over the years and have never had a complaint, so the 930 gets my vote. Dunlop also makes good tires, and they're less expensive. However, I personally think the Bridgestone is hard to beat for all around performance. And, if he lives where there is a lot of water on the road, it's a no brainer. The RE930 evacuates water like nothing I've ever seen. I can't recommend anything else, other than to say I had some Yokohama all-seasons before the RE930's, and they were lousy! Too tempermental with pressure and what not. HTH!

Charles
Old 12-19-1999, 08:22 PM
merlin

Default Re: Advice needed for cheap all-season tires

Had Dunlop D60M2 on Probe GT, they were okay, but nothing special. I'm very partial to Pirelli P7000 Supersports, an excellent tire at a reasonable price.