Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Aftermarket Audi Wheels from China?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Aftermarket Audi Wheels from China?

There are some brand new aftermarket wheels for an Audi A4 (5X112) for sale in my area and when the seller mentioned they were the OEM wheels for an A4 from about 3 years ago I noticed the stamp on the back says "made in China" Therefore, they are aftermarket and was wondering if some of these lightweight wheels are actually ok. My dealer says the lightweight knock offs no matter how good they look are cheap and will never balance out well at the tire store. Is this true?
Old 01-02-2012, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I have had several friends with wheels that have cracked or bent rims that were not Hartmann or BBS or OEM. Unless you live in a good area where roads are well taken care of - my recommendation would be avoid aftermarket rims without good feedback on them from many sources. Or put the money you save away by buying cheap aftermarket ones just in case you need to replace one.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snowchaser
There are some brand new aftermarket wheels for an Audi A4 (5X112) for sale in my area and when the seller mentioned they were the OEM wheels for an A4 from about 3 years ago I noticed the stamp on the back says "made in China" Therefore, they are aftermarket and was wondering if some of these lightweight wheels are actually ok. My dealer says the lightweight knock offs no matter how good they look are cheap and will never balance out well at the tire store. Is this true?
Yes... the balance will suck, they will bend or crack when you hit anything (pot hole, curb, freeway joint...)

High quality wheels are crucial to a car driving properly. OEM, BBS, OZ, VMR, Hartmann. I have had great experience with BBS and Vorsteiner monoblocks. Others not so much...
Old 01-21-2012, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 396 Likes on 354 Posts

Tire Rack sells a brand from Asia, I think they're called "Sport Edition". I install this wheel on a co-worker's MBz every year. I think they're probably on the 5th season and there have been no issues or problems with the wheels...and the driver is very hard on the car. She's curbed the wheels a few times, etc., and the wheels still look OK. I don't think there's even any corrosion on them.

OTOH, there are some bad wheels out, problems with the hub, etc. Quite a task to sort thru all the different brands.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Tire Rack sells a brand from Asia, I think they're called "Sport Edition". I install this wheel on a co-worker's MBz every year. I think they're probably on the 5th season and there have been no issues or problems with the wheels...and the driver is very hard on the car. She's curbed the wheels a few times, etc., and the wheels still look OK. I don't think there's even any corrosion on them.

OTOH, there are some bad wheels out, problems with the hub, etc. Quite a task to sort thru all the different brands.
Addendum to my previous post. I have used Tirerack "sport" wheels for snow tire set ups with no problems. Tirerack tends to at least test the stuff they sell.

I would not use sport wheels for my summer high performance set up but that's just me. I tend to drive a lot gentler on my snow tires because aggressive driving on snow tires on dry road chews up the tires at a hell of rate...
Old 01-23-2012, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 396 Likes on 354 Posts

Same here, I would want better quality wheels for the primary driving seasons. However, when it comes to winter wheels, I wasnt something that's going to hold up against our horrific roads, but they don't have to be OE. The Sport Edition brand seems to be suitable/durable for winter use.

Little may be known about Sport Edition Wheels, but you can be sure these wheels can compete with the best-known customized wheels in the market. Sport Edition is one of Tire Rack's in-house brands, offering customized wheels by Japanese manufacturer Kosei. Its wheels are less expensive than most of its aftermarket counterparts, but offer improved quality and durability. Kosei uses a series of strict quality tests to make sure each Sport Edition wheel delivers reliable performance. Its wheels are produced using advanced low-pressure casting processes. The wheel's rim, disc, and spokes are tested separately for strength, air retention, and resistance to cracking and deformation. Prior to the wheels' release in the market, Kosei ensures each Sport Edition wheel meets quality standards set by TUV Rheinland, an internationally accredited technology testing association. But aside from their topnotch quality, the best part about Sport Edition Wheels is the wide variety of designs and finishes they come in. Glossy black, machined, stainless steel, polished chrome, silver, grey.you name it and, chances are, Sport Edition's got it. Whatever car you're driving, you'll surely find a wheel design that perfectly complements your car's looks. Sport Edition gives you the chance to customize your car at a more affordable price, proving that you don't need to spend a lot of bucks for a set of elegant, attractive wheels for your ride. More importantly, these wheels are guaranteed to help you enjoy smooth vehicle performance for a long time.

Last edited by uberwgn; 01-23-2012 at 08:56 AM.