Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Any recomendations on great snow tires for the 7-spoke OEM Audi rims on a 1.8TQ sports pkg. manual?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-1998, 01:05 PM
Johnny B.

Default Any recomendations on great snow tires for the 7-spoke OEM Audi rims on a 1.8TQ sports pkg. manual?

nt<br>
Old 12-27-1998, 09:56 PM
JT

Default Very happy w/Pirelli's Winter 210A's!

...only have had light snow, but so far, they've been great! There performance on dry and wet roads is excellent for snow tires!<p>JT 99' 1.8Tqms
Old 12-28-1998, 01:50 AM
GregW

Default Same here...

I've also had limited snow experience with the 210A's, but I had them out on ice covered with about an inch of snow and they were _superb_.<p>Very nice in wet and dry conditions, too.<br>
Old 12-28-1998, 04:57 AM
Chris L.

Default Opinions

It all depends what you consider a "great" snow tire.... There are hundreds of posts in the archives about this topic and the best advice that I can give you is to determine your priorities for a snow tire.<p>For example, the Pirellis mentioned below seem to be very good snow tires without sacrificing alot of dry performance (similar to the Donlop Wintersport M2s). Tires like the Michelin Arctic Alpin and the new generation Blizzaks are "ice" tires that excell in snow/ice grip but give up quite a bit in treadlife and dry performance. The other popular tire often mentioned is the Nokian Hakkapalitta 1. This tire has almost a cult following and probably falls in between the two catagories of tire mentioned above.<p>I have the Hakka 1s mounted on OEM 7-spokers and love them.<p>Good luck.<br>Chris
Old 12-29-1998, 10:24 AM
Tony

Default Yokohama Guardex 600

I have a 98 1.8 with the sports pkg. In the dry, the grip is just fine for me (In the winter Dry grip is reduced anyway). I haven't had a chance to test them in the snow but from what I've heard is that they are just as good if not better than the Blizzaks.
Old 12-29-1998, 01:09 PM
skimants

Default Re: the X+M Alpin - Michellin

After reading Consumer Reports and scanning the Tirerack Website I got the Michellin's as they're $64 for 195/65x15 size. The Yoka's sounded as though they might be too soft and the other tires are more expensive. Not for nothing that some people rap Consumer's, but, at least they're not swayed by advertising dollars which quite frankly do "color" the other reviewer's such as Tirerack, etc. <br>So far had 4 inches of snow and perform satisfactory. With Quattro it's hard to measure slipping and slidding as it's a great advantage.<br>The tires do well in slush and snow. They are fair on sheer ice as would any tire since coefficient of friction is near zero. Unless it's got studs and chains not much will help on ice. I had the Dunlap 8000E last year and being new they provided sufficient traction. This leads back to the advantage of 4 wheel drive. I've driven Subaru's since 1986 and forgotten how awlfull two wheel drive is until I get into my better half's Honda.<br>Cheers,<br>Skimants 98Qspt-tip
Old 12-30-1998, 01:21 PM
Johnny B.

Default Thanks for all of the input!

I'll post what I choose!
Old 01-04-1999, 02:06 PM
Carter Dunkin

Default Re: Yokohama Guardex 600

<br>Finally got to try my Guardex snows this last weekend (after 8-10" of snow and ice) and they were just great! The A4Q did reasonably well with the stock Goodyear RS-A tires but the Yokos provided excellent traction under acceleration, braking and even cornering.