Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Anyone know anything about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know anything about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S

it is listed on Tirerack but there are no survey results yet. I know it is expensive but how is it as an Ultra High Performance All Seasin tire?
Old 01-23-2002, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Anyone know anything about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S

I have had the Pilot Sport A/S on my 2001 S4 w/ stock Avus wheels (225/45/17) for approx. 1,000 miles now. Here are some quick impressions.

Background:
- I had the Pilot Sport SX tires on for approx 20K miles and as winter hit NJ (20 - 50 degree weather) they were starting to feel like rocks and the high performance tire was not going to cut it for the winter/snow so I made the plunge at around $225 per tire (bal/mount/stem, etc...included) for the Pilot A/S.

Look/design
- The two center sipes are HUGE...I can pretty much fit my thumb in them and the sipes that carry out to the edge of the tire are pretty big as well...definitely looks like the tire will have some grip in the wet and light snow.
- They say Michelin uses three compounds to make this tire and when they were new, stacked up waiting to be mounted, I could almost see a difference in the color/compound from the edge tread to the inside tread and then from the inside tread to the center...I am probably looking too deep into this and maybe it was just the oils, etc...on the tire from shipping but it looks as if the edges are made with one compound and the inner treads with another...I could be (and probably am) wrong about this...but it looked interesting.
- Sitting on the rim, there is less of a rim protector on the tire vs. the Pilot Sport SX and overall they just look "bigger" and looks like less space to the suspension and wheel well...but this is probably just an illusion as there is no rubbing or problem with space...they fit and feel just fine.
- These tires are directional in that you must make sure they are mounted with the arrow on the sidewall facing forward (make sure of this when the tires go on your car) and rotation will be the standard fronts to backs with no crossing.

Pressures/Feel/Noise
- So far I have played with pressures between 32 and 36 psi (cold, all around) and once up to temp (20 mins on the highway) they gain 5 lbs uniformly. I prefer closer to 36 cold (which gets them up to 41 at temp) which makes the tire still feel a bit "hard" when cold and a little "loud" over bridges and suspension joins, but certainly no louder than the Pilot Sport SX and not loud enough to take notice or be bothersome...as would be expected, they feel a bit softer and less noisy at lower pressure. I have NOT gotten a good test in light/packed snow yet and do not know if I will lower the pressures (around 32-34, cold) for any snow accumulation. I DO like the pressures up at 36 (cold) for dry and rain driving. *Any advice on pressures/performance gain for all season tires in the snow would be welcome *

Handling:
- So far in the dry with outside temps being between 30 - 50 degrees F, these tires STICK and definitely put the car where pointed. Highspeead (100mph +) lane changes over bumps, joints, etc...give you a little "bounce" but the car/tires feel stable and stuck to the road. At temp (41 psi) in about 30 degrees on dry doing around 100 you can "feel" the road and hear the rattles of your cup holder and any loose plastic pieces in the cabin (or maybe those are just my fillings), but I prefer a stiffer feel/ride. I did lower the psi to 32 (cold) and drive the same way and the tires still grip and cup holder still rattles a bit but slightly less...overall the car seems to handle lane changes and high-speed offramps just as well if not better than the Pilot Sport SX at either pressures in the cold weather.

- In the wet and slush, these tires still grip and inspire confidence...untill you want to get on the binders, then the are just a tad bit better than the Pilot Sport SX were...basically comes down to the wheel size...seems like no tire on this stock wheel is going to stop you any quicker...and nothing it going to stop you in the slush like you would stop in the dry, so...this should be understandable.

Overall -
- They keep pressures well all around
- They have a deep/mean tread pattern
- They grip and perform as well (if not better) than the Pilot Sport SX in cold, dry conditions.
- They grip and give confidence in wet and slush.

- Disclaimer
- Only 1,000 miles on the tires so far
- I have not pushed the tires around back road/twisties and tight corners on a summer day yet, BUT they seem like they should compare favorably to the Pilot Sport SX.
- Only used so far in 30 - 50 degree F weather...once again, it seems like they will be just fine on the pavement on a sunny, 80 degree day, but...
- The look of the tread makes you think you are definitely going to give up dry traction, but so far I have not.
- No real snow testing to report
- Mostly based on high (36 cold, 41 at temp) pressures in cold weather agressive highway driving.

Hope this helps.

Anyone with more input or advice on my input, please feel free to add!
Old 01-23-2002, 03:34 PM

Default PearlS4Tip, it's too bad you have nothing to say! ;-)

Great review! Do you write tire reviews for a living?

Seriously, I'd love to see a follow-up after you have experienced some snow. Thanks!