Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Attn: Canadians - anyone buy wheels/tires from Tirerack?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-1999, 06:45 AM
Teena

Default Attn: Canadians - anyone buy wheels/tires from Tirerack?

If so, did you have to pay customs duty? Or are there any discount mail-order places in Canada?
Old 11-04-1999, 11:21 AM
GusS

Default Re: Attn: Canadians - anyone buy wheels/tires from Tirerack?

I haven't bought anything from TireRack, but I've always had to pay customs when I ordered from the States. The only way you could get around that is if it's declared as a gift. That means they should probably send you the bill in a separate envelope and probably avoid insuring the package (I maybe wrong on that one). In any case, receiving 4 brand new tires as a gift from Tire Rack has phony written all over it.
Old 11-04-1999, 11:24 AM
GusS

Default Oh yeah, you'll also be charged GST and PST on top of the customs duty :)

I say it's not worth getting anything mail order from the States unless it's an item not available here. Add the exchange rate to the charges mentioned above and you'll most likely end up paying more.
Old 11-04-1999, 12:08 PM
Another Canadian

Can Eddie from Tirerack clarify this for us? Thanks.
Old 11-04-1999, 01:54 PM
Mac

Default No, but a suggestion for a Canadian mail order place (more)

You might try Tireworks in Mississauga, ON. I just received 4 wheels and tires from them; shipped promptly; well packaged; helpful advice. They were recommended by Gary@Ronal.

Call Param (his name) at 905 565 1398.

You can decide if you like the prices if and when you call.

Mac
99.5 1.8TQTip
Old 11-04-1999, 05:33 PM
Jason

Default I recommend Tireworks too (mail order available)

Old 11-04-1999, 06:03 PM
Phil A

Default Just bought Ronal R28s + P7000SS there. Price is competeitve to Tirerack.

Plus no hassles vs. shipping across border. Unless you have a friend in States that can take delivery, do the swap there. But then you have to get the original wheels back..more headache!
Only negative with Tireworks was that I told them I needed wheels asap for track event, they "forgot about me" for 2 weeks, and I had to use another car as a result. I was a bit P.O.d at the time...
Old 11-05-1999, 10:56 AM
Eddie@Tirerack.com

Default Re: clarify

You will be assessed any duty when UPS delivers.

This varies depending upon what you have purchased, of course. I usually encourage my customer to call UPS for a duty assessment quote for what you are looking for.

Hope this helps!

Eddie
ext. 369
Old 11-05-1999, 01:49 PM
K.L.

Does Tireworks have a website or email or can it only be reach via phone? Thanks.
Old 11-05-1999, 05:19 PM
Mac

No website that I could find; not sure about email.

Quick Reply: Attn: Canadians - anyone buy wheels/tires from Tirerack?