Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Balancing Issue or Wheel Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balancing Issue or Wheel Issue

Good afternoon.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I bought another set of snow tires for my Alzor replicas (bought from ECS). The same wheel required approx 4oz of weight to balance the old snow tire (Blizzak LM-25) as well as the new snow tire (Hankook I*cept).......which seemed like a strange coincidence. Even though it is "balanced" I still feel a lumpiness transmitted through the right side of the steering wheel; though not a shaking lumpiness.

I contacted ECS and asked if they had any quality control issues with the Alzors and the response was no. He also mentioned that if the wheel was off, the tire wouldn't have been able to be balanced. I would also imagine that the ride would be very lumpy with a bad wheel. But why would two separate tire installations, on the same wheel, need so much weight? The odds of both tires being off are long....and the other wheels didn't need as much.

I plan to contact the tire installer and have them break the bead, rotate the tire, and remount/rebalance and see if this helps. Any other thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11-26-2011, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 389 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Goony
I plan to contact the tire installer and have them break the bead, rotate the tire, and remount/rebalance and see if this helps. Any other thoughts or advice is appreciated.
Try to locate a Hunter RoadForce machine in your local area. A good operator will quickly identify and isolate the real problem...and it's not likely a wheel issue unless something is bent.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Try to locate a Hunter RoadForce machine in your local area. A good operator will quickly identify and isolate the real problem...and it's not likely a wheel issue unless something is bent.
Thanks for the prompt reply. The wheels and tires are both brand new this time so I'll first go back to the installer and see what happens.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for the prompt reply. The wheels and tires are both brand new this time so I'll first go back to the installer and see what happens.
You are on the wrong track. Rotating the tire 180° is a common fix.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Reggie
You are on the wrong track. Rotating the tire 180° is a common fix.
Going back to the tire installer is not the wrong track since breaking the bead, rotating, and remounting is one of the suggestions.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Going back to the tire installer is not the wrong track since breaking the bead, rotating, and remounting is one of the suggestions.
Wrong word I meant to say you are on the right track. - Damn time to take me out and shoot me. Wish I could have blamed this on too many beers.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Reggie
Wrong word I meant to say you are on the right track. - Damn time to take me out and shoot me. Wish I could have blamed this on too many beers.
No problem. I'll find out more tomorrow night.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Follow Up: All four were road force balanced and within spec.......but I still have a lumpiness in the right front. I can only suspect that the Alzor wheel hub bore may be a bit out of spec and it is wobbling. After speaking with ECS, they will replace the wheel but only credit my replacement $$$ back if the returned wheel is verified as out of spec............so it's back to the tire installer for another round of verification by trying an isolation swap. WHat a pain in the ****.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Follow Up: All four were road force balanced and within spec.......but I still have a lumpiness in the right front. I can only suspect that the Alzor wheel hub bore may be a bit out of spec and it is wobbling. After speaking with ECS, they will replace the wheel but only credit my replacement $$$ back if the returned wheel is verified as out of spec............so it's back to the tire installer for another round of verification by trying an isolation swap. WHat a pain in the ****.
Have they checked for a out of round tire. Or perhaps a belt is broken?
I take it they will swap tires to see if the issue goes with the tire or stays with the wheel right?
Old 12-03-2011, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is interesting.I got a set of Miro's wheels from ecs.Im having a vibration on the right side at around 65 to 80 mph.on the right side.-Someone mentioned to me that if they are mounted and balanced at max psi load, it can cause the vibration.Is that true? They balanced and mounted my tires at 51 psi,which is too high.can you get back to me on this?please?

Quick Reply: Balancing Issue or Wheel Issue