Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Is it better to order your tires/rims from the magazine ads and then get them mounted/balanced at your local tire place?nt

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-1999, 08:01 AM
Christian

Is it better to order your tires/rims from the magazine ads and then get them mounted/balanced at your local tire place?nt
Old 02-02-1999, 08:58 AM
tjf

Default Re: Is it better to order your tires/rims from the magazine ads and then get them mounted/balanced at your local tire place?nt

One thing you have to worry about if you have a local shop do the mounting is liability in case of damage. - The local tire shop claims the wheel finish is defective, the wheel manufacturer claims the tire shop is at fault. <br> I am in that predicament right now and I'm not sure how it will come out. I know I can't afford to spend another $500 dollars to have my new chrome wheels replated after spending $1000 on them in the first place.
Old 02-02-1999, 09:53 AM
Todd W

Default Discount Tire will match magazine ads

<br>The local Discount Tire will match their national ads if you ask, which usually match up to Tirerack. They charge an extra $5, but waive the $5 mounting fee. Plus, you don't pay shipping ($10 per rim or tire) That said, if you are buying rims AND tires that you can't get locally, the shipping should be cheaper with them mounted instead of separate.<p>I have had fits with UPS, so I will be buying locally next time.<p>HTH<p>Todd W
Old 02-02-1999, 12:06 PM
Eric

Default Re: Is it better to order your tires/rims from the magazine ads and then get them mounted/balanced at your local tire place?nt

They, the national places, should mount and balance your tires for free if you also buy wheels from them. Last year I bought two new sets of wheels and tires from Discount Tire and both times the mounting and balancing was free. Also, when I called the Tire Rack last week about some new tires and wheels they told that the mounting and balancing would be free.<p><br>
Old 02-02-1999, 01:44 PM
randall

Default Buy local, mount local : i agree with post below (more)

If u buy tires from one place, and rims from another:<br>if there is a fault, the tire guy blames the rim guy.<br>Then the rim guy blames the tire guy for damaging the rims. (been there) or u can't return the rims because they have been "mounted"<p>If u have them shipped:<br>the mounting guy blames the shipping guy, who blames the rim guy, who blames the shipping guy. (been there too!)<p>If u get it done locally, and the tires and rims from the same place, u should be home free! (trying this with my R-28s in Toronto)<p>It may cost u more, but believe me, if u have a problem, u can loose your shirt. (or your hair) <p>If u still want to buy and ship, then at least do the 1 stop shopping, from a reputable place. And if u can, make sure u have physically seen the combination on your car first! (i.e. a friend, fellow A4 member, etc) That way there are no fitment surprises. (been there 3!)<p>1996 a4 2.8 qm (soon to have R-28 with rubber!)<p>