Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Blowout risk from partial tire puncture? <<PLEASE READ>> (Tirerack?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 06:37 AM
mm
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blowout risk from partial tire puncture? <<PLEASE READ>> (Tirerack?)

Hoping someone here can help me out.

I noticed a screw in one of the tread blocks in the right rear tire on the S4 so I went to have it repaired at a local shop. Tire had been holding pressure just fine and it turns out that the screw was only about 3/8 to 1/2 inch long which was not apparently quite long enough to fully puncture the tire and actually cause a leak.

The shop said that there was no need to repair the tire any further and that since there wasn't a full puncture that there wasn't really anything for them to repair. However, since the screw was quite a bit longer than the depth of the tread block and must have penetrated into the tire casing underneath the tread block somewhat, I am concerned that this may cause a significant weak spot and potential future failure point in the tire. I'd hate to have this result in a blow out or something like that down the road.

Any thoughts or advice? Should I be concerned or not? Should I replace that tire just to be on the safe side? Should they have just punched it all the way through and then repaired/patched it?

It's just a bit concerning because there is really no way to know how close the screw actually got to puncturing the tire and/or to what extent the tire was weakened as a result.

The tire is a Pirelli P6000 225/45YR17 with about 14,000 miles and 7/32 inch of tread depth remaining out of an original 10/32 inch when new if that matters.

I'm not sure exactly how deep the screw actually penetrated but I would guess it would have been something like 3/8 to 1/2 inch through the tread block judging by my visual estimate of the screw's length, so that would mean it would have penetrated something like 7/32 inch through the tread block and around 9/32 inch into the actual tire casing underneath.
Old 05-01-2002, 06:56 AM

Default I would think it would become a slow leak before a blow out

even if it was a full penetration the shop would have just patched it, which to the best of my knowledge only stops the leak, it doesn't add strength.

I've had about 5 screws in my tires over the past year, 1 needed patching, 4 didn't. No blowouts, they did wear out though, fresh set is on now.

YMMV
Old 05-01-2002, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well, are you on the west coast? I have a couple P6000's good shape but used for about 5k

Not sure how much tread has been worn off, but would get them out of my place (I keep them in the dark so no drying out).
Old 05-01-2002, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default It's probably ok but I'm super paranoid about that kind of stuff so I'd replace it.

To me, spending $150 or so on a new tire for the peace of mind is worth it - especially if you push your car in cornering or high speeds.

Before you buy a new tire consider this so you might not have to spend any $$. If you have an unused P6000 spare tire, use that on the car and keep the damaged one on the spare wheel. Chances are you'll never need the spare tire anyways so keep the damaged tire for a spare.
Old 05-01-2002, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm a safety nut, and I think your fine. Having said that, I'm not a tire expert...

If you had penetrated the tire, you'd patch it right. And while that would hold the air inside, you'd still have a whole in the carcas of the tire. This is no different. The small whole in the carcas of the tire is not significant enough to be of potential risk. And since it didn't penetrate the tire completely, there's no reason to patch it. Just keep an eye on it for the next week, and if the pressure is okay, leave it along. If it leaks, have the tire removed from the wheel, patch it from the inside, and have it remounted and balanced.
Old 05-01-2002, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Doh! I should have known that.
Old 05-01-2002, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default mm, I don't think you have anything to worry about. The tread block will

for the most part, close back together and it's likely that the cord was undamaged. You probably have the same likelyhood of blowout from your partial puncture as in a tread groove.
Old 05-01-2002, 09:18 AM

Nope, MI
Old 05-01-2002, 06:38 PM

Can you see any type of indentation on the inner liner? If so...patch it. If not I wouldn't worry.
Old 05-01-2002, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I wouldn't worry (even if it went clear thru & you patched it), it's not going to blow out...

Famous Last Words! ; )

Quick Reply: Blowout risk from partial tire puncture? <<PLEASE READ>> (Tirerack?)