Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Bridgestone Re970 AS vs. Conti DWS for A4

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 01:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bridgestone Re970 AS vs. Conti DWS for A4

Replacing my 960AS, was going to just go with the 970AS, but wanted to get people's opinion on the Conti DWS since it is a couple hundred cheaper. Originally the car had summer sports on, when I changed to 960AS I noticed the side wall a bit softer on turnin, but after 30K miles have been happy with the 960s. Have heard the Conti's are soft and might have a flat spot when sitting in the cold (I don't have to drive everyday).

Living in Boston with a '04 1.8TQM B6 A4 sedan.

Any opinions? also anyone seen any great prices besides the usual suspects? Any chance TR does free shipping anytime soon or that Sullivan Tire smartens up and reduces their ridiculous tire hazard pricing( $49 vs TR's $15 per)?

Thank folks,

-Rhett
Old 07-10-2013, 04:47 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rhett
Replacing my 960AS, was going to just go with the 970AS, but wanted to get people's opinion on the Conti DWS since it is a couple hundred cheaper. Originally the car had summer sports on, when I changed to 960AS I noticed the side wall a bit softer on turnin, but after 30K miles have been happy with the 960s. Have heard the Conti's are soft and might have a flat spot when sitting in the cold (I don't have to drive everyday).

Living in Boston with a '04 1.8TQM B6 A4 sedan.

Any opinions? also anyone seen any great prices besides the usual suspects? Any chance TR does free shipping anytime soon or that Sullivan Tire smartens up and reduces their ridiculous tire hazard pricing( $49 vs TR's $15 per)?

Thank folks,

-Rhett
The Continental Extreme Contact DWS has better snow traction and a softer ride than either the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 A/S or Potezna RE970 A/S Pole Position. However, the turn in feel and steering response on the DWS is even slower than either Potenza tire and is the most common complaint I hear about the DWS.

Unfortunately we do not offer discounted shipping sorry.

http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AR8&...ires/index.jsp
Old 07-12-2013, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

I've had both the DWS on my 09 A4 and the RE970AS on my 13 A6. I would agree with Gary's assessment. If performance is your priority, albeit more expensive than the DWS, I'd recommend the RE970AS. I've got 12K on them and they perform about as well as the summer Pirelli P-Zeros I took off but much quieter and a better tire all around even though they are A/S. Plus I can use them year round. If you have a great deal of snow to contend with, the DWS might be the better pick. On my A4, they replaced the Pirelli P6 a/s which frankly, were just awful - out of round at 5K miles and noisy. The DWS were so much better with only the P6 outperforming them a bit on turn in.

Overall, I would have to agree with Tirerack's review of the ultra high performance all season category - the RE970AS is possibly the best all-around A/S tire I've ever owned (and I've owned just about every brand over the years).