Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Cast Your Vote: Mille Miglia R5 vs. Rondell Design 64 (pictures to follow)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2000, 06:17 PM
DD

Ditto..same question for me....would a 17" 225/45 be similar ride to a 16" 225/50? Eddie@TireRack?
Old 02-11-2000, 09:28 PM
Stoney

Where do you find these two wheels for sale?
Old 02-11-2000, 09:59 PM
DD

Mille Migilia R5 from Tire Rack, Rondell from www.rondell.de
Old 02-11-2000, 10:01 PM
JJ

WOW...A TT wheel that fits the A4?
Old 02-11-2000, 10:02 PM
Phillipe

Is it just me, or does this look almost exactly like the European A3 wheel?
Old 02-11-2000, 10:05 PM
Berto

Mille Miglia R5. More agressive looking.
Old 02-12-2000, 02:12 AM
DD

Default Road & Track's Conclusion on Plus One+

From "How Low Can You Go":

"Seemingly, just as ultra-low-profile tires have improved their ride characteristics, so too the less aggressive profiles (if, indeed, a 55-series may be termed so) are handling better. It appears that the serious tradeoffs of profile selection have diminished–whether to the automaker in specifying original equipment or to the enthusiast in opting for special enhancement.

This doesn't mean it has become purely a matter of fashion. Instead, our recommendation takes an odd turn based on something other than the traditional ride/handling tradeoff.

Namely, susceptibility to road hazards. If the streets and roads in your area are renowned for their potholes, then ultra-low-profile tires aren't for you. It would be foolhardy to lead your car down a path of repeated tire damage and wheel replacement. If, by contrast, you're blessed with decent roads and you appreciate the appearance of ultra-low profile, then go for it.

The looks are distinctive. The tradeoffs are surprisingly few."
Old 02-12-2000, 02:15 AM
HerbertK

Rondell's. High tech. Clean. Distinctive.
Old 02-12-2000, 06:01 AM
Mike Owens

Default Re: Re the Rondell 64 wheel, a few questions...

DD,

I like both wheels, but think the Rondell is slightly better. A few questions:

Have you spoken with Rondell? If so, how does one go about buying them from a German site and get them here over into the US? How long did they tell you it would be before you received them? How much is shipping? Any recourse if damaged in transit?

The MM wheels obviously would be an "easier" purchase, as I have dealt with the Tirerack on some wheels on an NSX I used to own, and they are first rate, and you'll get the wheels in a matter of 2-3 days with no worries.

The reason for my question is that I just bought a new A6 and am considering those wheels (the Rondell and MM) for my car, as well as the OZ Volcano.

Mike
Old 02-12-2000, 07:32 AM
jasyn

the 17" rondels with 225/45 tires. the mille's look "soft" in comparison.

Quick Reply: Cast Your Vote: Mille Miglia R5 vs. Rondell Design 64 (pictures to follow)