Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

curious about b-stone blizzak mz-01's...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2000, 08:58 AM
zap

Default curious about b-stone blizzak mz-01's...

i just put a set of michelin pilot alpin(slightly used via a relocating bud) on my 1.8t w/quattro and was curious about the blizzak's and how fast they'll wear and handle for dry-road commuting. i'm sure i'll be happy with the pilot alpins but i keep on reading and hearing that the blizzak's really score in the snow and ice. the blizzak's might be 'beyond' my needs but...just wondering. experiences from my stupid-youth have put me a bit on the overkill side for having every safety advantage in the snow(and i guess everywhere else too) i can use. thanks
Old 01-19-2000, 09:37 AM
Jim B

Default I have them (more)

They are great in the snow. This weekend was the first time I got to check them out in snow, and they were sticky as hell. Aside from snowy road driving, I took them (and the rest of my car) to a big empty ski mountain parking lot and got a great feel for them. They hold very well during straight line acceleration, and abled me to control my power slides. My ABS only kicked in once all weekend.

As for the dry, they are nothing compared to the SP8000's that are OEM Sports Tire. I know the 8000's aren't the best tire, but they are a world of difference from the mz-01's in tight fast corners. I almost killed myself the 2nd weekend with the MZ-01s. On the highway, not much of a difference, and not much more noise either.

Overall, I like them. With quattro, they are great in the crap. Then again, I have nothing to compare them to (1st snow tire on the A4 and my last car was a jeep). They are worth it, but I would wait until next year if your Alpin are in good shape.

Jim B. 99.5qms
Old 01-19-2000, 12:23 PM
Gary

Default Re: curious about b-stone blizzak mz-01's...

I just bought the MZ-01's at TireRack 4 days ago and have had limited snow/ice driving with them ,but in those few cases where I thought it
was possible to tell-they were terrific.I drove a
90 sport Quattro before the S4 and never used snows,but these are going to be wonderfull for 3
or 4 months a year here in NW Indiana.