Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Does TireRack have a major competitor . . .

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does TireRack have a major competitor . . .

. . . I'm pissed at Eddie. A couple years ago I was told 17" MM-11's would be fine in Detroit. Result . . 6 bent rims. So then I ask are SSR competitions at $299 ea. strong enough for Detroit if I dump the Mille Miglia's? Answer . . Oh yes, they are much lighter and stronger. You sure they'll be OK in Detroit? Yep. Result . . 4 bent rims again. Therefore I will never buy rims from Tirerack again. I could and would have spent $500-700 ea. to avoid the crap I've had in the last two years. Question. How much stronger are OZ SL's than SSR's and where other than TireRack can I get them? I want a fairly light strong rim that can be used for autocrossing and the street. Was running 235/40-17 S-03's at 41 PSI. Now running Hakka 1's on the stock 10 spokes at 40 PSI.
Old 11-05-2002, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default when u decide on what wheels to get email me

I think i can get some good prices on wheels/tires. Its from a bit store/company so no worries about the transaction
Old 11-05-2002, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Wheels Bend ! Factory and Aftermarket

The truth is all wheels will bend if you hit pot holes don't slow down for speed bumps ect even steel wheels. If someone misled you to that fact then you have reason to be pissed. Fair warning you will not be happy with anything you buy! If your roads are that bad you need 15" wheels with 70 series tires or go buy a truck.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:38 PM

Sorry to hear that. I know there are some TREACHEROUS roads in Detroit...
Old 11-05-2002, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default agreed...

Any wheel will bend if the pothole is big enough and/or if you drive through it fast enough.

Plus, the 40-profile tires don't exactly help either. Looks like MSG Homey either needs to slow down, or downgrade to 16" rims.

In his defense though, the SSR Comps are known to be soft - lots of complaints about bent SSR Comps on AudiWorld.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:10 PM

Default I know of people running 18" OZ's here in Detroit with 700+ rate C/O and no bent rims.

I'm running 17" SSR's with a stock suspension. I haven't hit anything that I would have thought "Oh shoot, that's going to bend something". Most of my driving is on I-275 which actually in really good shape from Novi to Monroe.
Old 11-06-2002, 06:46 AM

Default I had Ace 17" Lola Rims in SF...

.. and experienced many potholes. I'm not sure if the roads here are any better or worse than in Detroit but my ACE rims never bent, even when I did hit a pothole that made me say.. OH SHOOT!!
Old 11-06-2002, 07:17 AM
DOC
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So just how is that Eddie or TR's fault?
Old 11-06-2002, 11:41 AM

Default First of all...

ANY wheel can bend. I have not and will not tell anyone that the wheel you are looking at is incapabable of being bent on-road. There is no such thing. For your area, the roads are awful. I have been there myself several times, and feel lucky that I did not damage my own wheel downtown.

Sorry about your luck in having that happen, but I have always represented our products well, and the wheels and a 17" size should have a very good strutural integrity, but my question is is YOU have bent wheels based upon your driving habits, or your oroad conditions, thatis not anything that you can realistically consider to be Eddie's fault, nor should you be "pissed off at Eddie.".

Like B Spencers post states, wheels can and do bend. Wheels from ANY manufacturer. I have been here long enough to have had calls from evry manufacturer that has had wheels damaged. Its a fact of simple physics. Again, I am sorry, but please do not feel mad at me personally.

Call me if you wish to discuss further.
Old 11-07-2002, 02:26 PM

Default SSR's are getting a reputation of being pretty easy to bend and rightly so . . .

. . . I've never hit anything on the roads here since I switched from the MM-11's that made me think "damn that just might have bent a rim". Small pressure ridges but no bangs . . . at all. Work and home are along the highways and 80% of my driving is on the freeways in the suburbs not downtown where the bad roads happen to be. I sure wouldn't recommend a cast wheel to anyone living in the metro detroit area, and that was the first recommendation. Now there are alot of postings going up about other people with their bent SSR comps. I know that there is only so much that any rim can take, I'm a metallurgical engineer in automotive chassis components. We can talk about structure, properties, and processing all day long. It's awefully intriging that someone driving on the same roads with OZ's and a spring rate over twice as stiff as the stock sport suspension has no problems whatsoever. Maybe I'll try cryogenically treated OZ rims, although it gives greater gains to ferrous (Q/T) materials.

Quick Reply: Does TireRack have a major competitor . . .