Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Firestone Winterfire Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-1999, 06:54 AM
Tim C

Default Firestone Winterfire Review

I live in Eastern Northern NJ and it is rather borderline for dedicated snow tires. However I have a sport package on a 1.8TqM and after reading about the SP8000's on snow decided to take the plunge and get winter tires.<p>Since roads here are not snow covered all the time I needed something that gave good dry road manners and was good, but not best in class on ice and snow. (This ruled out the Blizzaks and ice tires.)<p>My last criteria was that they had to be cheap! This eleminated the Pirelli's that I have read many good things about.<p>I purchased the winterfires in 195/65/R15 and steel rims from tire rack for $380 + shipping.<p>I couldn't be happier. On the dry they are quiet and T rated. No they don't stick like the wider Z rated rubber. There was a day of adjustment as I got used to losing my performance rubber.<p>On the snow and ice + quattro they go just fine.<p>They are a new tire (and cheap) and not really aimed at the sports sedan crew. They are mostly in 4 door sedan sizes with optional whitewall so I think they are aimed at the Taurus - Lumina crowd. They just happend to make them in the right size for the A4 (with blackwall). But for the money I highly recommend them.<p>Regards,<br> Tim C.