Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

gen tire and rim questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gen tire and rim questions

I dunno anything about tires/rims, so please have mercy. Just wanted to know if I have a set of summer tires with rims, what would be the advantages/disadvantages of just buying a separate set of winter tires and using the same rims (instead of buying a separate set of winter tires+rims)? Are there any safety issues putting on and taking off the summer/winter tires for the same rims on a regularly basis? Any wear-and-tear or other issues? Thx.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

First every time you take a tire on or off you risk breaking a bead. In addition the cost of removing tires and putting on another set plus re-balancing can quickly add up to being close or equal to the cost of separate wheels. You risk the shop gouging the wheel each time the tires are swapped.

The separate wheels means you can choose when to put the winters on rather than having to get an appointment or wait in line with the rush of everyone else before the first approaching storm. With separate wheels you can put them on yourself and make the changes as you deem appropriate - sometimes we get an early storm and you can go back to summers afterward.

Did I cover every thing. Oh yeah - use the info at Tire Rack to make your tire decisions. Good testing by themselves as well as feedback from customers on each tire model. You can decide what is important to you: Tire Wear, Noise, Performance, Cost, etc and see what tires supply the parameters

Last edited by Reggie; 05-23-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wow, thx 4 this!
Old 05-24-2010, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

So, now that I'm convinced to buy a 2nd set of rims, does it make sense that both sets should be the same size? I guess there would be less adjusting (whatever that entalls) vs getting rims of different sizes?
Old 05-24-2010, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Expert

So what happened with me on my first Audi - 98' A4 2.8. It came with 16" rims and I put 17's on for summer use and put snows on the 16's. But I found because of the 300 days of sun we get here in Colorado and that snow does not stick around long - that I missed having 17's on the car in winter. I would wait till the last minute to put the snows on and then in the spring I would be champing at the bit to get the summers on. so finally I got 17's for winters too and was never sorry.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Oh I did forget to say the down side of separate wheel for summer and winter

You need to buy a torque wrench, a jack, and antisieze compound. Well some people look at that as a con. I think it is a plus as every home should have those tools.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Reggie
Oh I did forget to say the down side of separate wheel for summer and winter

You need to buy a torque wrench, a jack, and antisieze compound. Well some people look at that as a con. I think it is a plus as every home should have those tools.
I don't follow, are you saying that I will need those tools (btw, what are they lol) only if I have 2 sets of rims and tires, but would *not* need them if I only have 1 set of rims and 2 sets of tires? Thx.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Expert

They are handy tools no matter what. Removing and replacing a wheel always requires the use of a torque wrench. Being able to get under the car is always a good thing so the jack is necessary - the one in the car is for emergency use only
Old 05-25-2010, 09:58 AM
Former Vendor

Nice to see you Reggie.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Terrano

I bought a 2nd hand japan made terrano.I just want to ask if how much will be the tire?.I need to change my tire because it was too old to use.

Quick Reply: gen tire and rim questions