Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Got more info on the BBS PL5 Deep dish wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-1999, 10:01 AM
Chris Ciccone

Default Got more info on the BBS PL5 Deep dish wheels

Well,
I talked to my friend today, he had called some contacts about the wheels (see below posts).

I definately can't have them brought in Ofiicially. BBS won't allow their reps to do it or something like that. I could probably buy them from a shop in England and then have them shipped to me, but I don't know if it is worth that much trouble. They are not made in the BBS German plant, but in the BBS Italy plant (where they make the MODA wheels and such). This alone means that they will be heavier than normal BBS wheels as well.

So, now I'm down to two wheels. BBS RC or Oettinger RE-5 (looks exactlylike Hamman Monoblock). Any suggestions.

Chris
Old 12-28-1999, 12:42 PM
Andy Hedin

Default Chris, we have similar taste in rims...

The BBS RC and the Oettinger RE are my top two wheels right now in a 17" application. Some things to consider:

Oettinger RE:
22 lbs./each
$435/each (1552 Design price)

BBS RC
17 lbs./each
$399/each (Tire Rack price)

It's a close call...BBS is lighter and cheaper but the Oettinger's will be more exclusive. I'm not sure how either is durability-wise. I heard some "rumor" that RC's bend easy, but I don't know if that's true or not.

The BBS PL5 would have been sweet, but it doesn't sound like it will be worth the hassle trying to get a hold of them. Probably big $$$ to get a set sent over here to the U.S.

Andy Hedin
Old 12-29-1999, 08:59 AM
Duncan

Default Andy: I too am evaluating wheels for my 99.5 Avant

and the BBS RCs are right up there on my list of wants.I also like the Oettinger wheels.These are minor corrections but thought you might like to know-Tire Rack now wants $409 for the 17" RCs and 1552 Designs last price update(10/99?)shows a price of $469.99 for the REs.I guess I better make up my mind before they are priced out of my reach!I was waiting to hear the story on the BBS PL-5s, but I guess that idea is pretty much shot now.I want something classy but affordable.I could probably be happy with BBS RXs.BTW, the RCs are forged as opposed to most of the other BBSs being low pressure cast.They really should hold up better in the long run especially over the rough stuff.My dream would be to locate a set of the old BBS RS three piecers that just happen to have the right bolt pattern and offset.Fat chance!Anyway I'm still lookin.