Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Hmm, I can save $40 shipping if I cancel my online tire order & using Free Shipping/Low Price at

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Hmm, I can save $40 shipping if I cancel my online tire order & using Free Shipping/Low Price at

Treadepot. I have an order pending at TR but TD has free shipping and the same price structure. I asked Gary if TR would adjust and even meet me 1/2 way with like a $20 credit on my next order, he said, "no way". That kinda sucks, because I expected the best price from TR and the tires are actually for my Mom's beater Passat. A lil cash out of her pocket, I guess she'll just have to cut back on the meds since no remedy is available (according to Gary).

I'm surprised TR won't flip her a few bucks back on the 1:1000 customers who actually nails a LOWER price than TR and asks for a match or even "splitting the difference". It's definately ironic too, since it's usually the other way around, people citing the TR price to get other sellers to match it. I know a few tire chains around here that will do that, maybe I'll start looking more into that method, but old habits die hard. OTOH, since I buy probally 10 tires a year, every year, they might value my business.

...and yeah, there is also the remedy of not accepting delivery from TR and placing my order ~elsewhere~. With the Free Shipping, it would be a break-even for me as the buyer, but it's going to my Mom's house, and no need to stress her out on it. Like I said, no problem, just stretch the meds out farther. At 80 she is close to TR's oldest customer.

It was my fault, technically, I'll probally just give her the cash difference and tell her that Gary called back and changed his mind. No way would I cancel the order with them, that would be uncool.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tell me if TreadDepot would do this...

My Dad buys 4 winter tires and wheels from TR, upon installing them he lets one fall and scuff the face. TR accepts return and sends out new wheel/tire in 2 days at no cost, no questions asked. Ill happily pay TR the extra couple of bucks always-thats just me, even though Ive never seen their pricing out of line.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Former Vendor

Default Re: Hmm, I can save $40 shipping if I cancel my online tire order & using Free Shipping/Low Pric

I am asked the question many, many times throughout the day. Can you do better on price? Do you price match? I just bought these last month and now they are more, can you match the old price? "Unfortunately the Tire Rack doesn't price match or price adjust tires, sorry." My wording pretty strictly follows the above statement. I didn't say and would never say "no way" to any customer, let alone fellow forum guy (who I happen to like). I know you're not happy out the Tire Racks policy, but please (I mean this sincerely...) try not make me out to be a person who would make a flip statement like "no way". It makes it sound like I could care less.

While The Tire Rack is very competitive on pricing the company also prides itself on its extensive product testing and service. Such things do not come cheaply, so occasionally you may find a better deal out there. In these difficult economic times I don't blame anyone for trying to shop around for the best deal.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Last winter I ordered WS-50s full price, a week later WS-60 comes out, WS-50's discounted+$50 rebate

About $100 less for the same tires a week later, but I did not ask for any kind of adjustment since it was already done deal. I thought I was a good customer just buying winter tires early in the season, but you have to admit I got kinda boned on that deal. It's more like my wife got boned since she was paying for them to make it to her civil service job safely.

This spring you sent me 2 Avons that were over 4 years old and crumbled to bits in a month. Adjustment = 1 new tire, oh boy! So, I buy another tire plus I pay shipping and mounting, twice. 3 tires + 4 shipping + 4 mounting to get 2 safe tires on my car. Would that happen with a local tire retailer, not even close.

So, you left it unsaid, but TR would like everyone to ignore that there *is* enough profit in your pricing to match Treadepot, either at the time of sale or a day later when they are shipped...and still make money in the process. It's not like I am trying scam you by asking for an adjustment after they shipped. You know me better than that.

It seems like you care more about not setting a bad precedent for other customers by adjusting the price for me. Believe it or not, Tirerack isn't going to go out of business matching a price on a small order for a customer of 15 years. It's a selfish business model, imo.

You say "we don't do this and we don't adjust that"...without stating ~why~. I won't even acknowledge your "testing" costs as justifying the price adjustment policy. It's outright laughable to imply that you guys pay full price for the tires you test once or twice a year. I'm pretty sure tire companies make test examples of their product available to a retailer your size n/c.

Sorry too, if my paraphrasing "no way" from "no" is a problem.
-Clark
Old 07-29-2008, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

They'll replace rims YOU damaged but won't operate competitve/fair business on a sale.That's "good"?
Old 07-30-2008, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Bottom line, if you don't like their practices don't shop there.

It seems like there are many people that have good experiences with them myself included.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thank you, Captain Obvious. So, shippping out 4 year-old tires is ok practice in your book?
Old 07-31-2008, 10:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Does TR have a best price guarantee? Why did you expect lowest price from TR?

Seems like you have somewhat unrealistic expectations. You may want to shop around before placing orders for things if you're interested in getting the best possible price.

I don't see how this is Tirerack's problem.

Your experience with the WS50 to WS60 wasn't TR's fault either.. they owed you nothing. If you buy a car and a new model comes out in a month, do you go back to the dealer and get paid back to match the new lower price of the old model? No, not at all. This is the same for most things. Some brick & mortar retail stores will do this type of stuff for some items, but it's rare for any online retailer. You as a consumer are responsible for researching product before you buy it. It would not have been hard to find that there was a new model coming out soon and delayed your purchase until the time the new model hit the shelves.

The issue with the Avon tires if accurately portrayed is more concerning. In that case I as a customer would expect either a proper replacement or 100% refund.

You also have no understanding of how much overhead TR has. Profit is measured in selling price - cost - overhead. You seem to think that if they make just a few bucks per tire then they're ok, but their buildings/warehouses, employees, test track/cars, website, etc don't pay for themselves.

Honestly you come across quite rude, expecting that TR owes you for buying product from them. There's something to be said for good long term customers... there's something else to be said for long term annoying, demanding, and/or high maintenance customers.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default We hear how great TR is all the time. I can't post my experience? I say they've had their 3 strikes.

Most of my friends own small and mid-size businesses, so I'm pretty aware of a business model where you make a small price adjustment or throw a good customer a bone when you are still making money on them. This is called "goodwill" and it's purpose is to both reward loyalty and adjust to *actual market conditions*. If it keeps a customer from hardcore shopping around for low prices and beating you up on your margin, it's money well spent.

In this case it amounted to $20, half of the shipping costs that I mentioned that was overly inflated because their own warehousing limitations, which meant shipping my tires across the continent. Well, TR seems to think the individule customer is not worth dealing with on this basis, and I'll put my extensive purchase history against ANYONE'S here.

So, should I just say, yeah, TR deserves to charge more and make more than an IDENTICAL company off me on an IDENTICAL product and not even compete for my business and acknowledge what amounts to - overcharges and defective products. Want a good example, TR kept the last of the Avons listed on their site and had no problem selling them to the next guy after I had them crumble in a month....4 years old at-sale. Is that the ethical high-ground that you defend?

As for the validity of the business model I cited, what do YOU think, $20 reduced profit on my Mom's order to keep me as a customer and squelch the BS?

Let me throw out a quote:

"For tyrany to succeed, all that is required is for good men to remain silent"
-Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-31-2008, 01:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I didn't say you couldn't post your experience, I said your expectations are unrealistic.

You're whining about $20. If you found a better deal, then go with it. Plain and simple.

Also, I don't ever think I've heard that TR is so great because they give random customers discounts when they ask for it. As a matter of fact, they don't ever give out random discounts and I've seen that discussed here many times. There's a lot of different things a company can do to be great besides give random discounts, and I'm guessing that these other reasons are why people give positive feedback.

Quick Reply: Hmm, I can save $40 shipping if I cancel my online tire order & using Free Shipping/Low Price at