Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

How to store "ski trip" tires/wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-1999, 04:58 PM
Dank

Default How to store "ski trip" tires/wheels?

OK, so I bought my SP4000 A/Ss for my ski trip, but now its time to take them off again for my stock 8000Es. So how should I store these tires? Do I need to wrap them in anything? Unfortunately, I don't have a garage, so I was going to just be storing them over the carport. Will being "outside" damage them? Do they need to be driven on every so often? They aren't going to get too old, as I imagine in a year tops I will be done with the 8000Es and be then using the 4000s as my full-time tires (remounted on my stock wheels), but will they get damaged from sitting around for 9 months unused, outside? Thanks.
Old 01-06-1999, 09:11 AM
Dank

Default No responses? Comon, a little help here... :-)

!
Old 01-06-1999, 09:57 AM
Cameron

Default Okay, here's a bit of help...

If you have an Avant: Pack a little more lightly and throw a wheel/tire set in the back.<p>If you have a sedan: pop out the bench seat (it has two clips), fold down the rear seat, put a wheel/tire set in the back.<p>And yes, there's enough room. I fit a wheel/tire set (17x8/Pirelli) plus another set (15/Blizzak) in the back of an A4 sedan awhile ago.<p>Cameron<br>
Old 01-06-1999, 01:00 PM
skimants

Default Re: storage tires/wheels considerations

1. Prevent rust/corrosion of wheel - apply wax<br> or other sealant<br>2. Rubber probally degrades in sunlight from UV - <br> cover or keep out of sun<br>3. Nitrous oxides attack rubber - don't place in <br> area where electric motors operate. If outside shouldn't be problem unless you live in high ozone air pollution - not much can be done.<br>4. keep undue weight off<br> Maybe try silicone spray on rubber to minimize oxidation.<br>Happy trails!<br>
Old 01-07-1999, 08:56 AM
Ray Calvo

Default Re: How to store "ski trip" tires/wheels?

On summer /winter tires for Audi and track tires for Porsche, store them flat stacked on top of one another. Have been doing this for 20 years with no problems. They are stored in a garage, tho; skimants has some good additional points.
Old 01-07-1999, 03:15 PM
G. Hale

Default Re: How to store "ski trip" tires/wheels?

Don't remember if I read this on the Tire Rack site, or the Pirelli site. Nevertheless, they stated to stack the wheels/tires, fully inflated, on their sides, no more than 4 high. Also to make sure that they are stored off the ground/floor. (on a wood crate for example. Check the inflation at least every two months, and keep them dressed with some tire dressing. (don't try to eat them though) :-)