Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

HRE or Kinesis 3 piece wheels? Which are better? What's your opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-1999, 06:06 PM
Dmak

Default HRE or Kinesis 3 piece wheels? Which are better? What's your opinion?

x
Old 08-16-1999, 05:20 AM
RTK

Default Re: HRE or Kinesis 3 piece wheels? Which are better? What's your opinion?

I don't know much about HRE but the ones I've seen seem way too polished for my tastes. I almost bought the Kinesis wheels but they are made to order and was told the wait was about 2-5 months to get my wheels (K5 i think). Also I was told that they are not great for street use as the lip is easily damaged as with any three piece. I don't thing getting replacement pieces would be all that convenient either. I'd stay away from both of them...IMHO
Old 08-16-1999, 10:25 AM
joemamma

Default Re:wait a minute!!! 3 pc wheels are easy to damage?

why is this? I get me 3pc RH wheels Friday and there is no way to take them back. How hard is it to fix 3pc wheels
Old 08-16-1999, 11:07 AM
RTK

Before I say anything, I should tell you that I live in NYC where even 16"s get bent and that thisis based only on my experiences and with conversations with some "wheel people." But the three piece wheels have that lip that is not directly supported by spokes. I'm not sure what the lip is made of but I have enough experiences with bent rims. Three piece wheels theoretically should be easily and inexpensively repaired as you only have to buy certain pieces. These pieces seem to be really hard for me to get a hold of. Also, my friend just bent his 17" 3 piece Schnitzers that were about 2 years old. Schnitzer would not send him the replacement lip stating that his rims were too old and that the titanium bolts probably could not be moved or that they might even snap off (weird, I thought titanium was pretty strong.) FWIW I gotten rims repaired for as low as $75 a wheel.

BTW where did you order your RH wheels from AIM, King?
Old 08-16-1999, 12:50 PM
Dmak

I agree with you.. I live in NYC and the roads are pretty bad here.. I've bent rims before, but I am going to take a chance and get those 18" HRE's anyway.. I figure if they get bent (knock on wood) I can replace the neccesary parts only instead of the whole rim..

Dmak 1.8TQMS
Old 08-16-1999, 06:06 PM
joemamma

well I've waited quite sometime for these because I got them from Germany. I had to wait because I missed the last container.... but who am I to complain with the exchange and not paying for shipping (only a few know why) I saved around 45%. I didn't think to get an extra, I hope nothing goes wrong