Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

I got an impact wrench...some questions...(a little long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-1999, 12:55 AM
robfox

Default I got an impact wrench...some questions...(a little long)

My wife surprised me with a DeWalt corded impact wrench for my birthday. I've always avoided high powered tools for the many wheel-switchings I do every year (basically for my whole family), but I can also see how this would save a lot of time and energy.

It's got a 1/2 inch drive. What I'm wondering is, are there any attachments I can get to limit or set the torque for tightening? At this point I can see using it for loosening lugs, and for starting to tighten, but I'll still use a torque wrench for *tightening*.

I'm not new to tools, but I'm not familiar w/ this one at all. Do I need special sockets, or can I use the ones I have? Anything else I need to know about it?

Thank you very much, in advance...
-Rob
Old 12-14-1999, 08:32 AM
Reggie

I am interested in the replies too - getting a compressor for Xmas
Old 12-14-1999, 10:59 AM
Ray Calvo

Default best to get new sockets

Impact wrenches should take the 6-point style sockets made for impact wrenches (ones in ugly black) for heavy duty use. Would recommend 6-point sockets ONLY on anything a impact wrench is used on.

Personally, would not use one unless it had a torque setting for tightening; it is easy to get carried away (I've used one once or twice). Should be good for loosening bolts that you can access, which is probably only a few on Audis, in my experience.

What I do find handy for wheel changing is a little cordless crewdriver with a 1/4 inch drive adapter, then a 3/8 adapter, then a 17mm 6-point socket. Use it to drive lug bolts on and off once they are broken free with my 3/4 drive breaker bar.
Old 12-14-1999, 04:16 PM
Andy Hedin

Default Here's what you need...

Snap-On sells just what you need...a wheel torque socket. Here's the description:

<i>Can help eliminate overtorqued lug nuts, broken or damaged studs, and prevent distortion of rotors, drums, and wheels. Use with 1/2" drive impact wrenches on domestic and imported cars and light trucks to apply accurate lug nut torque. Each 1/2" drive torque socket is manufactured from special, heat treated springs steel that results in the shaft flexing with each blow of the impact wrench when the specified torque is reached.</i>

You'd need part number TSS8G which is 17mm and has a torque limit of 80 ft.-lbs., it's red color (each is color-coded according to torque rating). Only other close 17mm ones are # TSMETH which has a torque rating of 75 ft.-lbs. or # TS8METR which has a torque rating of 95 ft.-lbs., they are green and tan respectively. I believe my '97 A4 manual specifies 80 ft.-lbs. for the lug bolts. You could get the 75 ft.-lb. one and then use a torque wrench for the final torqueing.

Prices are $40 each (from my '97 pricing sheet). Snap-On tools are available to the consumer, although they don't exactly make it simple to do. Check their website for info (it's there somewhere....I found it about 8 months ago).

Andy Hedin
Old 12-14-1999, 09:31 PM
robfox

Default WOW! Thank you VERY much...

That is *exactly* what I envisioned, but after doing some internet searching, I was convinced it didn't exist.

I will try to find a source for snap-on tools, if you come across any leads please send them my way.

Thanks again.
-Rob
Old 12-26-1999, 07:09 PM
alan t.

Default I would suggest getting a good torque wrench and some impact wrench sockets. ( more )

Regular sockets are not made for a powered impact wrench. The special impact wrench sockets are much heavier and will not break with high impact use. I like you would only use the impact wrench for removal. That's the hardest part anyway. A floor jack makes the job a lot easier too.