Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Is it me or do other think that Audi design's UGLY wheels..

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-1999, 07:57 PM
Dmak

Default Is it me or do other think that Audi design's UGLY wheels..

Take a look at all the models and you have ugly looking wheels compared to other Auto manufactures.. For example BMW, their whole line of cars have nice and sporty wheels, what gives?
Come on Audi you can do better than that!

Dmak 1.8TQMS
Old 09-07-1999, 11:30 PM
Walt

Default Re: Is it me or do other think that Audi design's UGLY wheels..

I have a Brilliant Black 1.8T MY2k ordered (October delivery), but am already planning which aftermarket wheels to buy for that very reason. For such a well-made car, you would think aggressively styled wheels a la BMW 3-series and M3 would be in order. Audi should put quotes around their so-called "sport" wheels.

You hit on my one gripe with Audi. Everything else is golden.
Old 09-08-1999, 05:26 AM
ChuckH

Default I agree BMW has the best wheels, but...

...Audi probably has the second best, with the exception of supercars. The 5 spoke, 7 spoke, and the 6 spoke wheels are nice, as are the wineglass wheels on the A6. I guess the rest aren't too great, but are mostly entry level wheels. I have not seen the new 10 spoke in person, so I can't say anything about them. If you want ugly, look at the wheels on the Japanese cars; especially Acura! ICK!!! Lexus? ICK!

While we're talking about BMW wheels, I would like to know why people replace the wheels on their M3's? The M3 has one of the best looking wheels ever made! I even saw an M3 with Chrome Mercedes wheels on it, recently. Talk about ugly!

There's a reason the aftermarket wheel makers are making a killing, you know? :-)

Charles
Old 09-08-1999, 07:42 AM
GmbH

Default I guess for economic reasons, since...(more)

a number of the other Audi owners aren't like us who see the wheel design as an integral part of the car's overall design. My lady friends for example think that my A6 is pretty(especially in the inside...vanity mirrors,wood,hmmm) but wonder why I would spend the $$$ for 18" wheels. For Audi, if they can get away from packaging expensive wheels and lower their price point yet still sell the cars, they wouldn't think twice. That's my take on the matter. The new S-cars are the exceptions however.
Old 09-08-1999, 09:08 AM
Goku

Default Could it be because..

..BMW wheels are made by BBS? I've always thought BBS made all BMW wheels. Maybe I am wrong. But either way BBS makes a lot of timeless, classy looking wheels. Ronal on the other hand should hire a new wheel designer. This is of course IMO, yours may differ.
Old 09-08-1999, 02:31 PM
racer

have you seen the rims on the GS400?? I think they loook better than ANY audi rims.
Old 09-08-1999, 05:27 PM
BDW

Default I think the GS 400 is drop dead gorgeous ...

and yes, the wheels are great. Guy up the street has one and when he cruises past, it really gets my attention. As sedans go, next to the A4, the Lexus gets my vote for best looker.

BDW
Old 09-08-1999, 06:57 PM
pdw

Default No. BBS, Ronal, Speedline make wheels to the automaker's spec.

Audi, BMW and the rest design the wheels and specify how they will be constructed to BBS, Ronal, Borbet and whoever. The wheel makers do what the automakers tell them to do.
Old 09-08-1999, 07:51 PM
ChuckH

Default You're right! I forgot about the GS400. I wish Lexus would...

...offer the GS400 with a manual transmission, because it is a sweet car. I won't buy anything with an automatic though, so even if I had the money, I'd have to say "no thanks!"

Charles
Old 09-08-1999, 08:22 PM
Randy Welch

Default Re: I agree BMW has the best wheels, but...

Ohh I've seen some pretty ugly wheels on some of the new 3 series sedans. Especially the ones with the circular cutouts. Ick... The new 3 coupe has some really nice wheels though.

-randy

Quick Reply: Is it me or do other think that Audi design's UGLY wheels..