Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

More tire comparisons . . .

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-1999, 10:41 AM
Darryl W

Default More tire comparisons . . .

So, how would you compare the Bridgestone Potenza RE-92 and RE-930 (both HP A/S) with the Potenza RE-940 (UPH A/S), the Dunlop SP Sport 4000 A/S, the SP Sport 8000, the SP Sport 9000 (all UHP), Goodyear RSA's and the Pirelli 7000 Super Sport (UHP A/S)? Any others worth considering? How about the Dunlop SP Sport 8000 (no E)?<p>I'm specifically interested in the RE-92's bec they seem to be more expensive than the 930's (and most of the others), and I also have a set right now on my subaru. I really want the SP Sport 4000 I think. I am looking for the best performing a/s tire I can get with a good ride and low noise - I'd like the new tire to be better in every category than the RE-92 (which I think is a good tire). This car has to perform well in bad weather, not nec in snow, but occasionally, so dry performance is the least important factor. I would, however, like excellent steering response and good turn in.<p>This leads to my next question, which is, I currently have 195/60/15's on my 'ru, and am thinking of going to 205/55/15's w/the SP 4000. Will there be a problem fitting this size to my current rims? The diameter difference is 0.3 in, acceptable, and if I'm not mistaken, my rims are 15 x 7.<p>Finally, where is everyone getting their information on tires? I would like good unbiased sources other than the tirerack website.<p>Thanks everyone!<p>Darryl<br>98.5 1.8T qmsb w/ SP 8000E's<br>95 Legacy outback, with worn RE-92's
Old 03-24-1999, 11:21 AM
ErikR

Default Re: More tire comparisons . . .Apples and rocks

You have a menage of different purpose tires.<br>The SP8000/9000 are summer only tires unless you live in FL, etc.<p>The RE 92 is a fine old AS tire, long discontinued (available at Cosco). The 930 is a family tire as are the RSA's.<p>The 940 and P7000 have their fans but also mediocre/contradictory test results (tirerack.com/consumers/automobile/GRMotorsports). The sp4000 has had good reviews here, but I have never tried them.<p>If you don't have snow and ice get the summer tires because they handle bset in wet and are typically pretty quiet. 7" and 205mm are a typical fitment.
Old 03-24-1999, 11:42 AM
Darryl W

I realize these are very different tires, but that's what makes the choice difficult. I really want a summer tire (I live in Texas) which is excellent in the wet, but I want to be unafraid to drive in the snow, in case we travel somewhere cold in the winter months. It's also possible that we'll move North in the next four years, though unlikely. Plus, I've noticed that my SP 8000 E's aren't as grippy when it's really cold outside, and I want to feel confident in the 'ru no matter what the weather, thus the interest in A/S.<p>So, do you think I should still go for a summer tire and not worry about cold weather? Sounds like you are not impressed by the 930 and the RSA. You don't mention a personal preference for any tire. What tire would you choose in my situation - the SP Sport 9000? Or something more aggresive?<p>The RE-92 are still readily available at tirerack and discount tire. Is it expensive because there are few left?<p>Thanks,<p>Darryl
Old 03-24-1999, 01:05 PM
Steve

Default Re: More tire comparisons, Try this Site

There is a BBS for tires that has some interesting information. There seems to be alot of people who are willing to share their experiences with various tires. Here is the address: http://autopedia.com/bbs/tires//index.html<p>I hope this helps.<p>Regards,<br>Steve<br>98 Passat GLX Manual
Old 03-24-1999, 02:57 PM
DaveL

Default Every tire is a compromise....

When you say that you may travel somewhere cold in the winter, where exactly do you mean?<br>Deep snow, like skiing in the Rockies, or just someplace cold where there may be a little snow?<p>Personally, I wish I lived somewhere warm like Texas, so that I could run summer tires all the time. If you're not going to spend a lot of time in deep snow then stick with summer, high performance tires like the SP8000, Toyo Proxies, or S-02 Pole Positions (my personal choice in the summer). The quattro will get you through a little snow with some careful driving. A/S tires are not worth the ccmpromise if you are in a warm climate 90% of the time<p>DaveL<br>'97 1.8TQMS<br>RS-A in the winter<br>S-02 PP in the summer<br>
Old 03-25-1999, 09:48 AM
ErikR

Default Re: Every tire is a compromise....

Check with the manufacturer on the RE-92's, I've been told a couple of times that they are discontinued.<p>Personally, I would go with the P8000E or the Mxx3. They work fine in the wet and are great in the dry. The A/S's are too much compromise for me. I run a set of cheap steels with real snows in the winter.<p>Neither of the summer tires is worth a hill of beans on ice or good snow. In fact, I had some bad experiences with some Yok A/S's and the Mich 330 (snow) on snow and ice, even with the quattro. If it only gets a cm of snow and melts in a couple of hours, you can stay with the summer tires.
Old 03-29-1999, 05:30 AM
Bern O'Dell

Just bought 5 Michelin Pilot XGTZ4 205-55-16 tires for my new 99 Passat GLX-$158.each-have 6 tread plies and TWO sidewall plies-only Pilot tires that are all season M&S. Not chep but IMHO the best available for all year use for the money. The only other tire considered was the Pirelli Super Sport. Also bought 16" Nothelle-n-classic wheels-Tuning Wheels (means that they are only made in Germany for the Audi and the VW) for $258. each (5). They both look great and awesome. Will try to sell the new car take-offs-15" 7 spoke VW alloy whees with the Continental 195-65-15 EcoPlus 360AA tires mounted, marked L-R-S.