Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Need new tire

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new tire

I ve recently bought an Audi a6 quattro and recently damaged the passenger side tire. do i need to replace all four tires? do i need to buy the same exact tire or can it vary in terms of the load index and speed? currently ihave the 97H which doesnt come with tire mileage warranty, however the 93Y does (michelin) can i get all four of these tires? thanks
Old 05-06-2009, 04:03 AM
Former Vendor

You can replace one tire if it is the exact size, brand and model of tire and the exsisting tires have 6/32nds of tread depth or greater. If your current tires have less tread depth, you can have the new tire shaved down to match that depth.

In order to answer the other questions, I'll need the year and model of your A6.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bparik01
I ve recently bought an Audi a6 quattro and recently damaged the passenger side tire. do i need to replace all four tires? do i need to buy the same exact tire or can it vary in terms of the load index and speed? currently ihave the 97H which doesnt come with tire mileage warranty, however the 93Y does (michelin) can i get all four of these tires? thanks
I've always felt a precision car like an Audi deserves to have matching brand and model tires. The fact that the cars are 4WD and have traction control, electronic stability control, etc. only reinforces this.

Others may disagree, but I've always maintained that people who insist on waiting to replace tires until the tread is worn out are depriving themselves in a big way. You may have tread left, but the sidewalls are shot after 30,000 miles and your ride and cornering are never going to be the same as on a tire with 10,000 or fewer miles. Just like running shoes. All of which is to say, don't worry too much about treadwear warranties when buying tires -- leave the treadwear warranty factor to ma and pa who go out looking for Uniroyals to put on their Pontiac Bonneville.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:07 AM

Default reply to Gary

Originally Posted by Gary@Tirerack.com
You can replace one tire if it is the exact size, brand and model of tire and the exsisting tires have 6/32nds of tread depth or greater. If your current tires have less tread depth, you can have the new tire shaved down to match that depth.

In order to answer the other questions, I'll need the year and model of your A6.
The question was can i change all four tires from 97H to 93Y on (245/40 18) a 2008 Audi A6 quattro?
Old 05-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bparik01
The question was can i change all four tires from 97H to 93Y on (245/40 18) a 2008 Audi A6 quattro?
When you asked : "do i need to replace all four tires? do i need to buy the same exact tire or can it vary in terms of the load index and speed?" it sure seemed like your question was about replacing one tire versus having to buy all four tires.

As long as you're replacing all four tires, yes, you can use a 93Y rating.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:35 PM

Default Wrong wording

Originally Posted by Gary@Tirerack.com
When you asked : "do i need to replace all four tires? do i need to buy the same exact tire or can it vary in terms of the load index and speed?" it sure seemed like your question was about replacing one tire versus having to buy all four tires.

As long as you're replacing all four tires, yes, you can use a 93Y rating.

you are absolutely right my question was do i need to replace all or just one tire. the wording on my reply was not what i meant. i was asking another question. thanks for your help. id rather get the 93Y than the 97 H if the lower load index will not make a big difference.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:10 AM
Former Vendor

All four tires should be matching in size, model and load rating.