Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

New 18" wheels + mother pot hole = 2 new hose reels

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2001, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 18" wheels + mother pot hole = 2 new hose reels

I got to enjoy my new wheels for 3 nights/4 days.
Huge pot hole in our fine Missouri DOT maintained highways ate the front wheel, and bent the rear.
I was able to accurately plan when I pulled over thanks to the smartire system displaying
36/34/32/13lb. I have begun my claim process with the DOT,and I am sure this will be a long, losing process. I reported the pot hole at 1215am this morning, and I drove by it at 7:15am this morning and it was already repaired.....
I just bought a new car jack and "cross" 4 handle lug wrench. Trying to use the Audi "jack" and lug wrench with the 4" handle really made a bad night a little worse.
(Anyone wanting my old jack and wrench can find them about 50yrs up the hill from highway 40 mile marker number 143)
Those of you that warned me about bending 18" wheels were correct; however, I think this mother pot hole would have bent my wifes Suburban rims.
I NOW HAVE TWO REALLY NICE HOSE REELS
Old 02-06-2001, 11:45 AM
Elder Member

good to see a sense of humor about this
Old 02-06-2001, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Cool...you just gave me an idea for my curb thrashed, bent ATP 5 Razze! 8^)
Old 02-06-2001, 12:44 PM
Elder Member

Default I feel your pain! You may have beat my record. :(

I had my new wheels less than 2 weeks (and about 300 miles) of which the first weekend was spent polishing and waxing my babies...

I hit a mother pot hole two and it only took out one, so I guess I can consider myself lucky compared to you, except the HRE part stings...Additionally, 235/40/18 S-02PPs aren't imported into the US anymore, so I need to replace my entire set of tires, ugh...

I've spent a lot of time researching my claim and going thru some loop holes since it's a residential area (talking to residents, etc.). I would have had an immediate response from the city after my claim and letter, but I found out I was one house length away from city lines, so it goes to the county...

In anticipation of the battle, I've had my father (attorney) file the claim on his letterhead. Hope this works! Oregon law states personal damages up to $5500 if won will result in repayment of attorney's fees. So, I'm thinking they won't wanna go down that road.

Really crossing my fingers that a fat check is coming! Good luck to you as well! Let us know if it works.

(Conveniently my pothole was also fixed the week after my claim, and it had been there longer than a year, I think the $1800 figure scared them.)

I was actually thinking of turning my wheel into a coffee table. Maybe you can do that with your other one. ;-)
Old 02-06-2001, 12:59 PM

I feel your pain i have 8 borbet typ-e's 4 are unuseable!
Old 02-06-2001, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Which wheels were they? I'm thinking of SmartTire-ilke system next time around
Old 02-06-2001, 02:00 PM

been there a year? let's all just call the city and SAY we bent a wheel, then they'll fix them!
Old 02-06-2001, 03:44 PM
Elder Member

Default Get this...

So when I was talking to a guy in charge of the roads, he made the point to me that my claim would likely be denied if the pothole hadn't been there over a year (apparently a reasonable time to fix a pothole?) and hadn't been reported by someone. Thankfully, I got a statement from a resident whose driveway was on the edge of the pothole that stated it had been there longer than a year, since it was created during construction of her neighbor's home...

Anyway, I was a little disgusted and asked "So the only way you guys are ever going to fix a pothole is if I call you?"

His response: "Yeah, we have a pothole hotline."

!!!??? WTF? Who would ever know about that! And beyond that, I could spend days trying to call in all of the dangerous potholes everywhere, ugh. Government is crazy isn't it? My contention in the letter is that they were negligent in failing to inspect the road and repair it in due time... We'll see...
Old 02-06-2001, 11:28 PM
Elder Member

Default maybe you're negligent for not seeing the pothole when driving down the road!

I mean if they are negligent for not inspecting every mile of road in town, how do you look when you can't even see the road directly in front of you?

As far as I am concerned, you pays your money and you takes your chances.
Old 02-07-2001, 06:14 AM

Default THE NEW ANTERA 309 WHEEL

THE SMARTIRE SYSTEM REALLY WORKED GREAT

Quick Reply: New 18" wheels + mother pot hole = 2 new hose reels