Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

New tire test @tirerack.com-Asimmetrico vs Pilot Alpin vs Blizzak MZ-01

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-1999, 12:55 PM
PhilH

Default New tire test @tirerack.com-Asimmetrico vs Pilot Alpin vs Blizzak MZ-01

An interesting new snow tire test with two brand new tires against the year old Pirelli Asimmetrico Ice. The most surprising aspect for me was that the Q rated Pirelli Ice scored better in the dry than the H rated Pilot Alpin! They say the Pilot was more "responsive", but by the (mostly subjective) numbers, the Pirelli is better than the new Pilot on both ice and on dry roads. I would have liked to see track times in their test, just to get some hard data in the dry, and would have liked to see my pick, the Arctic Alpin included, but the test is good reading anyway.<ul><li><a href="http://www.tirerack.com/tires/frames/tiretest_results_f.html">Tire testing results</a></li></ul>
Old 10-11-1999, 01:07 PM
KHF

Default Thanks Phil!

n
Old 10-11-1999, 02:10 PM
anybody know?

Default Blizzak MZ-01, MZ-02 - what's the difference?

nt
Old 10-11-1999, 02:48 PM
ErikR

Default Apples and moldy fruit...

The 15 is the original (expletives deleted). The 01 is the better dry "high performance" street tire. The 02 is the middle ground. The dueler is the truck, or unplowed road tire. If you get lots of ice go for the guardex then maybe the 01.
Old 10-11-1999, 02:57 PM
KHF

Default Guardex?? Didnt the Pirelli rate higher.....and the MZ-01 even higher in snow according to Tirerack

n
Old 10-11-1999, 03:09 PM
now I know

Default Thanks

nt
Old 10-12-1999, 04:07 AM
Tim

Default They made it sound like the Michelin's aren't a good choice...

is it because it is an H rated tire and the other two are Q rated dedicated snow tires? I'm considering the Pilot Alpines, but after reading that, I'm not so sure now. Maybe I'll go with the Dunlop Winter Sport M2...

Tim
Old 10-12-1999, 07:57 AM
ErikR

Default Guardex...

The Guardex compound is about half-way between Blizzack and the Pirelli ice. It is much quieter than the Blizzack 15, and wears much more evenly. It has a better feel (stiffer carcass) than the 15 and slightly softer than the Pirelli.

If you get lots of ice, I would definitely go for the Guardex (or the Bliz 01 on sale). I went for the Pirelli ice because I have several days of very fast driving in between storms.
Old 10-12-1999, 08:40 AM
Eddie@Tirerack.com

Default More info...

If you email or call me I would be happy to give you more feedback on the testing.

I have refrained from posting, as Jason Teller & myself have decided that my postings have been considered "advertising" by A4.Orgs primary sponsor, so I will not offer any more info, except to say if you have any other questions, then let me know.

Thanks!
Eddie
Old 10-12-1999, 01:41 PM
ErikR

Default Nah, they are a good choice...

Tires are subjective as all get out. See my postings below on hakas and blizzacks. Michelin makes a fine tire, but it depends on where you live. Do not get the artic alpine if you have uncleared roads, as there are almost no snow grooves on the tire. But, the pilot has them.

Quick Reply: New tire test @tirerack.com-Asimmetrico vs Pilot Alpin vs Blizzak MZ-01