Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Is the Nokian NRW a good high performance winter/snow tire (for an S4)?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2000, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the Nokian NRW a good high performance winter/snow tire (for an S4)?
Old 10-01-2000, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I loved 'em on my A4's

I had a set on my last two A4 Quattro's. They were 15", downsized from the stock 16" wheels. My primary concern is snow performance, but I live in Southern California and have a 250+ mile drive before I hit snow. I routinely cruise at 80-85, with occasional (brief) bursts up to 100 mph. So I have to have decent dry road performance as well. I was very happy with the NRW's.

When I bought my S4 last October, I got a set of Pirelli 210's as part of a package deal with some 16" wheels. The Pirelli's are OK. They're probably better on dry road than the NRW's, but the NRW's definitely performed better in snow. For ultimate snow performance I'd go with Hakka 1's or Hakka Q's, but for my purposes the NRW's were a great compromise.

DMoore
'00 S4
Old 10-02-2000, 09:09 AM

Default Different take...(of course) NRW's are NOT SNOW TIRES!

I must give this chant weekly, until they post my review. The NRW is a fine all season tire. Nokian say's it is an all season plus, which I agree with because of the siping. This in no way makes it a snow tire. It is the ultimate compromise tire. This is why Nokian makes 4 different REAL snow tires. (If the NRW was a kick-butt snow tire, Nokian would just make one studded tire for ice.)

You didn't say under what conditions and where you were driving to. The NRW would be fine if you get a couple of snow falls a year, or used it in the rain/sleet.

If you drive ice and don't drive fast, the Bridgestones work. If you just want to have a solid snow tire the haka q is great.
Old 10-02-2000, 11:20 AM
zTT

Yeh but they got that cute little snowflake emblem on the side wall (whatever that's worth?)
Old 10-02-2000, 11:42 AM

Mountain and a snowflake, I think it is just pining for the fiords.
Old 10-02-2000, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Go with the Nokian Hak 1's.

TireRack doesn't sell them, so you won't see them recommended around here. It's interesting that they are so well received in Canada and Northern Europe though. I'm placing my order for them in late October. Just do some internet searches you'll see for yourself.<ul><li><a href="http://www.nokiantyres.com/indexen.html">http://www.nokiantyres.com/indexen.html</a</li></ul>
Old 10-02-2000, 01:40 PM

Default Ahhh, not unless he takes the brakes off...

The last I heard Nokian USA was not importing 17" Q's or 1 to the US. With the 1's he'd just be shooting the studs off in a day regardless.
Old 10-03-2000, 12:45 PM

Beautiful plumage....
Old 10-03-2000, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Go with the Nokian Hak 1's. (my experience with these)

They were a great compromise for me in my A4Q for needing excellent snow traction without wanting to go to a very soft q rated tire, like many of the other soft snows, especially the "ice" tires. Those are just way too squirmy on dry pavement for me, where the h rated Hak 1's seemed a better compromise. They last a very long time also, especially compared to other snows. You will notice a performance drop if you're moving from sport package tires for the winter, but you'll get used to it. Makes spring all the more glorious.

The Hak 1's have a bit of a drone, however. If you think you won't mind that and want long life and good snow traction without giving up all your dry traction, they may be your tire.

That said, on my new S4, I've become pretty addicted to the performance and will not be compromising it much. Probably going with the Dunlop Winter Sport M2's for the better dry performance. However, I also live in a less rural, less snowy area now. Some factors to consider, hope it helps.

Rich
'01 Nogaro