Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Nokian WR -- winter tire, or all-season tire?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 08:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nokian WR -- winter tire, or all-season tire?

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble understanding the positioning of this Nokian tire in my mind. Can anyone help? I've read many many posts about it this year, and am somewhat confused by the availability of a V-rated and H-rated version. Also, it's reknown all-season capabilities -- doesn't this necessarily hamper its cold and ice performance?

I'm in the market for a high performance winter tire, and have a good feeling for what the M2/M3, 210/240, LM22, Pilot Alpin, etc can do. I live in Boston, but make frequent trips to NH and VT to ski.

My Dunlop Winter Sport M2 tires need replacing this year, and while I've been very happy with them, I'm going to dream for a little bit about finding a tire that is a no apologies improvement in every area over this outstanding tire. Is the Nokian WR that tire??

Thanks a lot..
Old 09-03-2003, 08:41 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Nokian WR is an all season tire, but many like it for snow.

From what I've heard it does happen to qualify for severe snow conditions stamping on the sidewall (tested to be at least 10% better than a base-line all season tire in packed snow testing), but it is not a dedicated winter tire. The Nokian has a couple fans that praise the tire every chance they get, but since we don't carry/test them, I cannot confirm.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The fans are the people that have had them (like me!)

I'm sure you're getting sick of me talking about them, but if you guys would carry them, I'm sure I'd get you some sales! :-D
Old 09-03-2003, 09:17 AM

Default Nokian WR is a great tire..

It performs better in the snow than many dedicated "high performance" snow tires, while also performing better in the dry than those same tires. Similar to other high performance snow tires, it does ok on the ice.. nothing like a Q rated snow/ice tire can do (like any of the blizzaks other than LM22)

Many people run the WR all year round, while others run them just for winter.

Speed rating: V vs H
They both have the same rubber compount, tread design, etc. The only difference is that the V rated version has a stiffer sidewall, which will improve the cornering feel on dry pavement. I would recommend V if you are frequently driving on dry roads (i.e. they plow well in your area, or you don't have snow every other day ;-) )
Old 09-03-2003, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Great review. I love mine for winter and my wifes car wears them all year.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:06 AM

Thanks... I think the real indicator is that most people that try them stick with them.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:44 PM

Default If only the local dealers weren't so sketchy

None of the big chains carry them, so you have to go to the small places...which make me nervous (scratching the wheels, etc.)
Old 09-03-2003, 01:16 PM

Default luckily I have a good local place that gets them :-)

You can always buy them one place, then have a big chain put them on.. Not that a big chain won't scratch your wheels..
Old 09-03-2003, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I am. I even had my mom put them on her car for year round use.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

We have Tire Factory in the Pacific North West to buy from.

Quick Reply: Nokian WR -- winter tire, or all-season tire?