Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Noob Tire Questions 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob Tire Questions 2

edit delete

Just bought a 2006 a4 cab FWD in the Wash DC area. The car has new Nexen N3000 235/45ZR17 94W tires. I did not realize that these were "summer" tires. While I do have a p/u for bad snow, I will be driving in snow and ice conditions. I do not drive particulary agressively. Question:

1. I assume that these "summer" tires are not going to do well in the snow? Obvious.

2. Should I get "snow" tires or "all season" tires?

3. If I get "snow" tires, do you guys get a separate set of rims or have the tires changed on the existing rims seasonally?

4. What tires should I get? I believe in good tires (bad tires are a bad way to die)but looking for an economical alternative, particularly considering my driving style.

5. Wheres the best place to get them?

Great forum - already changed the oil, filter, air filter, cabin filter with your help. Love this place.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Find a really reputable tire shop, but here's some guidance:

A/S tires are a compromise.

if you get snows, you need to keep the summers. Snows suck in dry, and wear very quickly in warm temps.

You can use one set of tims for suimmers and snows, but the cost of balancing will quickly eat up a cheap set of wheels ( e.g.: look on the mart). Plus, you generally want a narrower tire int eh winter. Many run 18s int he summer 17s int he winter or sopme similar stagger.

I am a firm believer in a **good** local tire shop. Most are merely idiot peddlers. Hard to find, btu check the local racing clubs ( PCA, etc.) Thru the mail invites finger pointing when things dont work out. Where are you?

I happen to like Dunlop M3s. Many really like Vreedstein. Fort your driving, I night suggest the Nokian WR for all seasons. Michelin makes pretty much the highest quality tire on the market. Note that quality and performance dont always go hand in hand, although Michelin's top A/S and performance tires are in fatc tops, at a premium price.

G
Old 09-28-2008, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Nexens are NOT bad tires, but you need all-seasons...

Snow tires means another set of rims, so let's assume you just want a normal all-season. DC has plowed roads and does not get a lot of snow.

Here are some choices from Discount Tire Direct:

Conti Extreme $115 shipped
the best in snow that I know of

New Eagle GT/Eagle Response $118
The current Goodyears are damn good

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

I looked over some other choices, but don't see anything I'd recommend, except much more expensive.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Something like the Nokian WR would not be a bad all around tire. Very good in the winter

and still respectable handling for the summer. This is one of the few all-season tires that can truly handle winter. Since you are not an aggressive driver and if you want to keep it simple the WR could carry you year around. If you want something with more summer perfomace the Bridgestone 960 AS, Michelin Pilot sport A/s would be better summer performance with a step down in winter performance.

I am actually going to pu the WR's on my mom's vw beetle when her current tires wear out. That way i don't need to worry about her during any season.

Personally i prefer dedicated summer & winter tires. it works best if you have 2 sets of wheels. 1 set for summer, 1 set for winter.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Econ snow package?:

Tirerack suggests . . .

16x7 MSW Type 14 Silver Painted
In Stock 4 $87.00 $348.00
215/55R16 Dunlop Winter Sport M3
Blackwall In Stock 4 $109.00 $436.00

What do you think . . . good economy snow package?
Old 09-29-2008, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

2nd
Old 09-30-2008, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have those tires, adn love them, except....

..in 225/55-16 ( i like a bit mroe volume to protect my wheels from damage.

The WinterSport M#s are, IMO, the best balance of good snow performacne and good dry performance out there. Dunlop's quality ( roundness) is only OK. I have one bad tire i must leave on the back. better than many, however.

I'm running 7.5 x 16 et35 ronals. I cant speak for the MSW's but they are cheap.

Now, if you go look, my suggestion is not to buy online, btu to find a good local shop that will ensure that you are happy.

A set of take-off OEM wheels might be just as cheap or cheaper, and a local shop can ID an out of round tire quickly. And wont charge you for diagnosis time when all is not well.

Ask me how I know.

Grant
Old 09-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

How do you know?
Old 10-01-2008, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You cant guess?

Lots and lots of out of round tires sold through the mail. High fees to have round force balancers prove what I could see when they spun. Went to Euro Tire ( great local shop); bought tires with good QC rep., immediate satisfaction.

Beware "deals" through the mail.

From what i have seen, if you buy a wheel/tire package, mounted and balanced before shipping, from the major sellers ( no names used) you'll be fine.

Grant
Old 10-01-2008, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default If a tire is out of round (beyond the allowable limits), the manufacturer will normally take it back

regardless if you bought it locally or on-line. I do agree, however, that exchanging a tire via mail can be a PITA. But if you deal with a reputable establishment like TireRack and use their recommended installer, they will normally take care of all that for you.

Quick Reply: Noob Tire Questions 2