Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Okay.. so 2 of my wheel bolts failed today..

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2003, 10:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Okay.. so 2 of my wheel bolts failed today..

Im still debating if I should go buy what I need from sears tomorrow and remove the bolts, or bring it to the dealership.. Its just a pain in the **** to be without a car for the day, and then have to worry about them damaging the car..

Anyway, Im going to replace all the bolts on the car because they are all corroded.. Which bolts do you guys recommend and where can I buy them?

and...

If I do bring it to the dealership, is it okay for me to drive the car about 20miles with 3 bolts holding one wheel on?

Any ideas how hard it would be to remove the wheel bolts myself or what I need?

Thanks for your help.. It is greatly appreciated..
Old 10-05-2003, 05:55 AM
Elder Member

Default Is it OK for me to drive car 20 mile with 3 bolts holding the wheel on? -- NO !!

Did the two bolts snap or fall out?

In all likelyhood, whoever touched the wheels last didn't torque the lug nuts properly (or at all). There's no reason to believe any or all of the remaining 3 bolts aren't about to fail, or for that matter, that you won't have the same problem with another wheel.

If it was me, I'd remount all four wheels and properly torque the lug nuts. I'd remove one lug nut from one "good" wheel and drive to the dealer with 4 lug nuts on two wheels. If you can find someone with a torque wrench who's done this before, fine; otherwise call Audi Roadside Assistance.

IMHO: Half of the people I'm seen mounting wheels don't know how to properly torque wheels. I'll always retorque the wheels myself when I get the car home, and then do it again about 50 miles later.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:02 AM
Elder Member

Great advice.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default They failed dure to the torsional stress being applied..

The bolt head sheared right off of the threaded section of the bolt..

The last person I believe to have touched my wheels was an Audi dealership.. On my passenger side front wheel, 3 bolts are "okay" and the other 2 bolts failed which means there are 2 threaded sections of the bolts inside the wheel hub...

I removed the other front side wheel (had to do that to install my fmic) and then remounted both the wheels (drivers side has all 5 bolts holding the wheel on, passenger side only has 3).. Both the rear wheels have all 5 bolts holding each wheel on and I have yet to remove them to check and see if they will also fail..

As for driving the 20miles.. I talked to a few people that had to do it before and just wanted to see what others had have to do.. so what do I do? Call Audi and have them flat bed it?
Old 10-05-2003, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I would certainly yell at the dealership and have them come and fix what they messed up...

It looks like they overtorqued your lugbolts. Chances are, more of them will snap sooner or later. Some of them may snap when you try to unscrew them.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default thanks pete..

Im going to give my buddys dealership a call tomorrow and talk to his service tech... Hopefully he can help guide me through this because I really don't want to bring it back to either of my previous dealerships..