Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Ordered my Snows....

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-1999, 12:22 PM
trifona

Default Ordered my Snows....

I waited too damned long!

The only tires i could find anywhere was the Blizzak MZ-01's in 205/55/16. Only other option was Dunlop WInter Sport M2's in 225/50/16, didnt think it would provide much improvement.

I know that these will kick *** in the snow & ice, but am very unsure of what sort of degradation in handling i am likely to experience in our mostly dry philly winters....hopefully the snow will soon start falling

you people in colorado, wisconsin, etc... are stealing away all of our snow tires from the rest of the country...curse you all!!

snows will be installed at my dealer next week during my turbo replacement...$90..not too bad.. still $50+ better than buying & installing them at my local tire place.

trifona
'99.5 1.8tqms w/ a sickly turbo (or whatever it is thats wrong!)
Old 12-27-1999, 04:04 PM
Audi Dudey

Default Considered Hakkapeliitas?...

The Hakka 1 and Q are arguably considered the best snow/ice tires in the world. Just picked up some last week but they're going fast. Frankly though, I think both the Hakkas and Blizzaks are too much snow tire for Philly. I would think you'd do fine with the Dunlops.
Old 12-27-1999, 06:46 PM
trifona

Default Re: Considered Hakkapeliitas?...

i agree that the blizzaks are too much for philly winters. what i wanted was an H-Rated 205/55/16 like the Dunlop M2 or the Pirelli 210's....or even Michellin Pilot Alpins..if i could have found them

The only M2's i found were in 225/50's; i didnt want to go any wider so this was out.

Found a set of Pirelli Winter Ice Assymetrico's (Q-Rated) but as a hardcore ice tire thought them to be even worse in the dry than the MZ-01's.

A small shop said they could get their hands on Nokian NRW's H-Rated tires, but without too much available to research them, i decided to go with the supposedly new & improved Blizzaks.

Hopefully all works out.

trifona
Old 12-29-1999, 06:15 AM
dB

Default Hakka 1's: I'm sold!

I tried out my 1's in a little snow we got here in Indy. It's as if your driving on dry pavement. It's amazing how much grip there is, especially when braking.
Old 12-29-1999, 06:19 AM
dB

Default They handle pretty well in the dry, too!

Around town here, I can't tell much difference in dry handling at all. Maybe on the back roads of southern Ohio where I grew up, but not around Indy.
Old 12-30-1999, 01:34 PM
Leland

Default Just got Nokian Hakkapeliitas NRW....more.....

I called a local import service shop to get some info on winter tires. He sells the Nokian line and said that I would love the dry weather handling of the NRW's (they are H-rated)and they have a very aggressive tread pattern that is good in the snow.They are accually considered an all season tire. The Q rated tires he said would be better in the snow and ice but I would have to drive like a granny around corners. I live in Madison Wisconsin. We get some good snow falls but I would say 85% of the time the streets are dry. I have only had them on for two days. The streets are dry and the handling is very good. Nothing near the Z-rated tires I had on for the summer, but still fun to drive with. I have not had a chance to test them on the snow but they have do have a very aggressive tread pattern that looks like it it will bite the snow without any trouble.