Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Oregon dual tire setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2000, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oregon dual tire setup

I'll be taking delivery on a A6 at the end of this month (the wait is killing me...) After reading the posts it seems clear that going with two sets of wheels/tires is the way to go. Most of my winter driving will be in the rain with occasional ski trips in the Cascades. An Ice tire would definitely be overkill. Leaning toward the Pirelli 210A on the stock wheels (hope to sell my unused Conti OEM tires to the tire shop) and TBD 17" wheels/tires for the summer. My primary criteria is wet handling since it rains so much here in the winter.

What size tire should I go with?
Any Opinions on the 210A rain performance?
Any alternate tire suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2000, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Oregon dual tire setup

Dang, I thought your post was going to be about those "TwinTire" things. You know, with two tires side by side on one wheel?

;^)
Old 10-01-2000, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Oregon dual tire setup

I as you live west of the Cascades in the rain for the most part. (Actually I am just guessing you live west of the Cascades.) We have a little get-away shack in central Oregon and will see snow and packed snow going back and forth on a regular basis. I am going to run Michelin Pilot Alpins or Bridgestone LM-22s on my 4.2 this winter. Even though the bulk of the miles on the tires will be in wet and dry conditions, when we are in the snow and packed snow, which as you know can become quite icy with just one melt and refreeeze, I want all the traction I can get. I'm sure your are aware that there are a lot of accidents and back-ups that occur on the highways that cross the Cascades. I want to be able to avoid the idiots and the unprepared. If we have to slow down or even worse stop, I want to be able to get going again without sliding into anybody else or a snow/ice bank. And when you dont run into any trouble, having all the traction that is available in winter conditions makes for a much more pleasurable and secure drive through the white stuff. Also, these tires have the "winter traction" approval snowflake symbol on their sidewalls and are thusly considered a traction device by the Oregon State Police. If they are stopping and inspecting for approved tires or chains, you will be let through.

Both tires are H-rated which is why I have zeroed in on them for my application. If I lived where the pavemant does not see any daylight through the ice and snow for weeks and months at a time, I would go with Bridgestone MZ-01s.

I feel the safety and traction offered by true winter tires is worth the performance trade-off for a few months if it keeps my $55,000 depreciating investment out of a snow bank or god forbid, an Excursion coming at me at 45 MPH!
Old 10-02-2000, 09:12 AM

Default I'd go with the ice version...

The ice compound that pirelli uses is not like the blizzack/guardex compound. I'm not sure if the ice is available in your size, but if it is it is well worth it.